• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bass fishing complete ban in 2017?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...age-could-bring-complete-fishing-ban-in-2017/

"Sea bass could be off the menu in British restaurants after experts warned that there was a desperate shortage of stocks in UK and European waters."

Odd comment as restuarants are increasing selling tiny (supposedly) farmed bass but worrying.

Also oddly it claims: "The European Union imposed a ban in February and March of this year"
as the ban was, I thought, Jan to the end of July.

More:
Scientists say that even if a zero catch was implemented next year – something they predict will not be achieved - the population would likely still be near or below critical levels in 2018.

Malcolm Gilbert, of the Cornish Federation of Sea Anglers, said that any ban must be total.

"If moratorium means a total cessation for everybody and nobody can keep bass then, whilst disappointing, we must accept it," he said.

"We should never have allowed the situation to get to this point, but we are where we are. But if they make it illegal for us and allow commercial fishing that would be unacceptable

...However fisherman said the warnings are alarmist and claimed new evidence will show that stocks have recovered in recent months.

Probably controversial but having seen bass numbers plummet year on year, I'm starting to think a complete ban could be a good thing - something I would fully support and abide by. The current ban/regulations is a bit of a joke that most recreational anglers, struggle to take seriously.

What's the point of them having to limit their tiny catches when someone with a net and a licence can and will take the equivalent of their entire decades catch in an hour or less - and will repeat that daily for months and months, taking numbers of fish not measured in ones or twos, not tens or twenties but tons - physical 1,000kg blocks - thousands upon thousands of fish - numbers that couldn't even be imagined by the average angler.

You can't blame the commercials, they are just operating within what the law provides them but I think there is serious fault with the current legislation, which is quite self evident by the sheer weight of anger and resentment it has caused. I'm sure I'll be a lone voice but I think a complete ban would be a much more positive thing - levelling the playing field for all anglers and hopefully providing a positive future for our beloved bass.

Last edited:
I like your thoughts Broseidon (y) A novel idea would be that if you wanted to eat fish, you had to catch it yourself........... this would cure the devastating loss in worldwide fish stocks almost overnight! My issue with legislation makers is that they always spin it to suit them, stop the person catching one or two and making the effort but make sure that the high end eateries that they no doubt visit, have a constant supply of beluga caviar and sea bass........... sounds fair, go figure :rolleyes:

How do they measure bass numbers? Is it affected by the ban.

I like your thoughts Broseidon (y) A novel idea would be that if you wanted to eat fish, you had to catch it yourself........... this would cure the devastating loss in worldwide fish stocks almost overnight! My issue with legislation makers is that they always spin it to suit them, stop the person catching one or two and making the effort but make sure that the high end eateries that they no doubt visit, have a constant supply of beluga caviar and sea bass........... sounds fair, go figure :rolleyes:
That is the truth and it's dame sad.

...You can't blame the commercials, they are just operating within what the law provides them but I think there is serious fault with the current legislation, which is quite self evident by the sheer weight of anger and resentment it has caused....
I think you can blame commercial fishers. The law is there to limit the worst excesses but they continually fish right up to the max & lobby for increased quotas. They have ethical responsibilities beyond that. They should also be aware of historical precedent for fishermen fishing themselves out of jobs (e.g. sardine, herring). No good crying to the public when the fish have all gone, nobody will care.

I expect we'll need some more fisheries protection vessels over the next few years. Ones that can cut nets, make arrests & seizures.

I agree completely but I sympathise with fishermen - to a point - we don't live in a society where were are in tune with nature - our society focuses on take, take, take, it's what society instills in people. I was angry with commercial fishermen, really angry but someone a little less hot headed than me reminded me that if I was in a situation where catching fish was my sole livelihood and the only way I could put food on the table, I'd want to catch more fish too. I can't imagine that many fishermen find it an overly lucrative career choice. It's a terrible attitude but I can understand why people might have it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the herring collapse is the perfect example of greed taken too far and yes, there is an ethical responsibility that needs to be addressed. Not much ethics in business though...

I would guess that the lobbying is done and funded by the big fishing companies, buyers and traders - they are the real monsters. It's easy to think of fishermen as jolly old men in little boats with a pipe and beard who do no harm but when you see the industrial scale of the plundering and the size of companies that control the wholesaling and distribution, it's not so jolly. It has to stop as it can't physically continue. Whether it stops before the bass and other species reach the point of no return... that's the main question.

Will the government stump up for fisheries vessels and protection officers - I'd love to think they would but I'd be very surprised!

Last edited:
I too have some sympathy for some of the smaller, sustainable commercial fishermen. The big factory ships are ruining their livelihoods as well as obliterating fish stock. And 80% of the fish caught are then exported, i.e. we don't need them.

Yes, you might be right about fisheries vessels but when we withdraw from the EU - depending on how much back-sliding goes on - we will likely need to protect our fisheries from illegal plundering as we did in the past (rather than just letting them run amok as we seem to do now). We spend billions on defence and our Navy, perhaps some of those resources would be better used to actually defend our borders and fisheries? Reinstate some of the air surveillance perhaps? Not glamorous but perhaps more useful than cruising the tropics "projecting strength".

Last edited:
Reactions: scrumpy
Fishermen have already asked for a UK ten mile limit, this complimented by banning all commercial netting trammel and beam trawling,could reinstate the inshore fishery and breeding areas decimated by the commercial fishermen over the last few years.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT