• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Batteries - making a torch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hi
I am interested in building a torch - I noticed that you can buy batteries from hardware shops and thought that that might provide a better solution for freedivers.

Seems like the good umbilical torches are designed for tech divers who want to go down to a billion metres... Slightly over engineered for us freedivers/spearos.

Also the smaller torches are possibly a bit weak. But they have a better more streamlined "in-one" design.

So I thought: get hold of a decent battery and make a torch for spearing/freediving from it.

The rechargeable battery I have saw in the ScrewFix catalogue -

Makita 2.2Ah Ni-Mh 9.6 (£40)

They are for powertools (driver/drills etc) so should be up to the job for a torch - but I know nothing about batteries... If any one can advise on what to look for in a battery I would be grateful (I think I want high Ah and high Voltage and not too heavy etc - the Makita one looks streamlined too).

Next question...bulbs !

Then ...cases.

Cheers
Ed

lamps

If you need a spearfishing flashlight for caves rocks etc. buy a skylite or omer moonlight, get recharable batteries

If you want, to build a light for night diving, buy a halogen spot at 50 w 12 v. buy 2 batterys that have 9ah, so 18 in total, this vil give you 4 hours of light
make the batteri box of water pipe, and attach it to a scuba harness.
a small cord and make a ligh head, of plastic/aly or buy one from a tech store

The best light I've found (so far) for freediving is the Omer Stardust 50 (rechargeable). The nightrider lights might work well, but are very expensive.

My StarDust 50 cracked (imploded) on a 53m dive, though rated for 100m. However, it comes with a backup face plate, but the batteries & PCB got fried when it flooded. Even though mine 'failed', it was still the best light for freediving ever. Super strong (50W), wide beam, yet very compact, and okay burn time (50 minutes).

You'll have great difficulty making a waterproof case for a home made light. It can be done but in general you'll save money and time just buying a ready made light.

No battery is waterproof. As far as pressure, most batteries will fail/mailfunction under pressure except for lithium polymer rechargeable cells. Any other battery must be kept at atmospheric pressure (or approximately atmospheric).

NiMH batteries are encased in metal cans, at 35 psi.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT