• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bearded Spearos, which mask do you use?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Broseidon

Lord of the Brocean
Aug 13, 2007
As you can tell from my Avatar, I have quite a lovely beard - I bought a nice new Omer Alien mask last summer but unfortunately it can't stand up to the manliness of my facial hair and leaked water profusely.

My oldskool mask (pictured below) is great BUT unfortunately, due to the volume, attempts to implode my eyeballs when I dive below 12 meters:

42912453.png

I would shave my beard off but, having recently tried this, I've realised that I'm in fact rather ugly -something which my beard hides quite well rofl

Any recommendations for a beard-friendly mask?

Yup Vaseline is the only way, the more hair the more Vas, so i get the clippers out and trim mine down.

Reactions: Broseidon
Rascolor here on DB dives with a beard. I remember him shaving a small bit just under his nose to get a seal on his mask.

seatec samos and I shave the bit under my nose with a beardtrimmer, works a treat!

Any mask that fits, I just shave down from my nostrils a wee bit. Dry suit ripper wax works great too and wont transfer to the glass and fog.

Cheers, Don Paul.

Last edited:
Any mast that fits, I just shave down from my nostrils a wee bit. Dry suit ripper wax works great too and wont transfer to the glass and fog.

Cheers, Don Paul.

That's a good tip Don.
Vaseline's a bitch to remove if you get a fingerprint of it on the glass.

Sorry, pressed the edit button on your post by mistake.

That's a good tip Don.
Vaseline's a bitch to remove if you get a fingerprint of it on the glass.

Sorry, pressed the edit button on your post by mistake.

Too funny.. I done that a few times my self...I had a typo on Mast.

Cheers, Don

Cool! So there is a way to sport a good beard and dive. Now I just have to get my facial hair and moustache back. =D
Posted via Mobile Device

"Bearded Spearos, which mask do you use?"

What, when you are driving around hunting for children?

Reactions: Mr. X
Scares the fish too...

Tried rubbing Vaseline on the hairy bits as suggested by DevonDave, no leakage at all - brilliant!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Erik
Does vaseline react with wetsuit fabric and mask skirt in a detrimental way? I know oil based products will deteriorate rubber, but then, is there any rubber in modern dive equipment?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT