• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beautiful Cornwall

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
I just wanted to let the members from the UK know that there is a film that has stunning shots of the Cornwall Coast. In case you had not heard of it, "Ladies in Lavender" with those grand actresses, Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, is just wonderful, and it makes Cornwall look great.

The water even looked quite clear. :)

Hi there

yes its all filmed within about 5 minutes of where I am from...

beautiful isn't it! now why don't I still live there???

Sam

Bill McIntyre said:
I just wanted to let the members from the UK know that there is a film that has stunning shots of the Cornwall Coast. In case you had not heard of it, "Ladies in Lavender" with those grand actresses, Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, is just wonderful, and it makes Cornwall look great.

really? sounds like a goodie... Judi Dench is one of my favourites... that's not the film about those "middle-aged" calendar girls is it?

no - apparently it's a bit of a rubbish film about a good looking guy that gets washed up on a beach and adopted by a bunch of old ladies - bit boring really but good scenery.

If you want a good film made in Cornwall, Saving Grace is similar but much funnier. About a mad old biddy who is a great gardener and turns her green fingers to cannabis... made me laugh...

samdive said:
no - apparently it's a bit of a rubbish film about a good looking guy that gets washed up on a beach and adopted by a bunch of old ladies - bit boring really but good scenery.

If you want a good film made in Cornwall, Saving Grace is similar but much funnier. About a mad old biddy who is a great gardener and turns her green fingers to cannabis... made me laugh...

now THERE'S an idea for my herb garden.... rofl rofl

You aren't an old biddy are you?
r4osuprised2.gif

sinkweight said:
No, but that stuff does make her smell funny, fall over a lot, and forget things.

Now THERE'S an idea!!!!! :D

Plug the nose and away you goes!

rofl rofl rofl

Will look out for it. Cornwall does look great...it's not just the film. Some St. Ives artists reckon the light is unusual because it is a penninsula & the sea bounces the light around -- but regardless of light, it has a rugged beauty. The water is often clear, probably some of the clearest in UK waters - a striking blue-green.

Most British countryside (what's left of it) looks amazing on a sunny day...it just isn't that sunny here ;).

Yes "Saving Grace" was good, set in Port Isaac. A great little village & a popular spot for TV & films. It's changed quite a lot in recent years though, the pub - the Golden Lion - closed :( & its full of expensive bistros now- don't suppose many fisherman can afford to live there anymore. (Perhaps it's becoming a miniature Carmel?). My best friend is going down there next week with his Dory - his family come from there.

Last edited:
Oh please! Not a miniture Carmel-by-the-Sea? That is the most pretentious town on the CalCoast! I've seen tweedy sorts gardening in sports jackets that probably cost more than my entire wardrobe. Yuck! Let's hear a cheer for Salinas!

Oh please! Not a miniture Carmel-by-the-Sea? That is the most pretentious town on the CalCoast! I've seen tweedy sorts gardening in sports jackets that probably cost more than my entire wardrobe. Yuck! Let's hear a cheer for Salinas!
I like Carmel but it is rather twee (and not the sort of place you'd imagine "Dirty Harry" living). The last time I was there added a lot of new, boutique shops in little squares off the main street. I'd never heard of Salinas - but a local recommendation is usually a good bet.

It is sad to see what is happening to Port Isaac, as it gets "yuppified". It was a real fishing village, although tourism was significant even 20 year ago. It used to have a thriving local community -- loosing the pub, the social centre of the community, must have been awful. The pub was full with tourists in Summer, locals late at night and locals in the winter. It seems callous to have closed it; I'm surprised they were allowed to.

Second homes used to get, I think, a 60% break on local taxes in Cornwall. Now it is just 10%. I suspect in the future it they will require a premium (200%?). Most(/all) of our politicians (& political donors) have second homes - so may be not.

[Tweed is the right fabric for the country. Doesn't everybody wear tweed for gardening?:confused: Perhaps not in California.;)]

Last edited:
I enjoyed the film... an older woman falling for a younger man.. rofl story of my life rofl

Salinas is the commericial heart of the valley over the hills from Monterrey. The valley is the salad bowl of America and the town has a real economy, not just the parasitic disease of tourism. Gardening clothes there are straw 10-gallons and jeans and you will encounter a lot more enchiladas than hors d'eourves. You can get hurt in Salinas but it has a grubby honesty I personally prefer.

I second Mr.X on the pub subject: I suffer old pubs closing as a social and personal tragedy!
Moreover everytime I go visit my birthtown I notice that some bits of it have disappeared: pubs and old shops closed, all replaced by boutiques, the pavement where I used to draw a chalk track for "matchbox" toy cars, the beach where I learned to swim. All going lost, piece after piece. Everytime it's a pain for the heart. But the light and the smell (a good smell) are still the same.

Last edited:
It could be worse Spaghetti. I went to lunch in a Chicago suburb with a friend, at a small, non-descript mall. My friend mentioned that he used to play in the woods where we were sitting -- the nearest countryside was probably a 5 or 6 miles away at the time. How grim.

Old Sarge, I used to have a straw 10 gallon hat, bought in Arizona. Perfect for gardening -- & clashes nicely with the tweed!;)

Island Sands. There is series of sketches showing on UK TV at the moment with an older guy (Harry Enfield?) and his young girlfriend. Pretty funny, he keeps saying things like "She's only 24. Two Four. Twenty four.".

Last edited:
Saving Grace, now that was a awesome movie... The best part probably bein the nosy gardening society ladies brewin up some erb tea and munching dry cereal while hiding behind the shop counter rofl rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT