• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Begginer speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bellboy7

Jan 13, 2019
Hi guys i just ordered a rob allen snapper 120cm gun, for my first gun,DO U GUYS THINK IT WILL OK, OR SHOULD I GO 110CM, IM in NZ great visability, CANT see how 10cm will make much difference, ANY THOUGHTS, ALSO, can u use dyneema gloves for crayfish or is kevlar better, i just thought it be better to feel gun trigger through dyneema,ANY RECCOMENDATION ON A GREAT BEGINNINER PAIR OF FINS, thanks For ur thoughts

10cm can make a difference but, as you said the water is clear, it should be fine. Perhaps even better.

Not sure about the gloves, I wear neoprene as the water here in the UK as it is cold. Kevlar is stiff and used in bulletproof jackets. I believe Dyneema is similar but it is less stiff; not sure if is used for bulletproof vests. Both have been used for climbing protection but Dyneema/Spectra seems to have taken over because they behave more like rope. Both are hard to cut, perhaps Kevlar more so?

For beginner spearing fins I would recommend something with plastic blades. I prefer replaceable blades but it is not essential, plastic blades can last 10 or 20 years, perhaps more. I use and like Beuchat Competition fins - I have 2 pairs and a spare blade and fitting kit - good footpockets for my stubby feet yet also rated highly for slim feet. The Omer footpockets are highly rated too. Again, one of the cheaper plastic blades models would be my suggestion . Omer and Beuchat footpockets are popular so if you want to "upgrade" to more expensive fibreglass (a popular option for spearing) or lightweight carbon fibre later, you have that option, if you choose a model with replaceable blades. However plastic blades work perfectly well for my spearing needs.

10cm can make a difference but, as you said the water is clear, it should be fine. Perhaps even better.

Not sure about the gloves, I wear neoprene as the water here in the UK as it is cold. Kevlar is stiff and used in bulletproof jackets. I believe Dyneema is similar but it is less stiff; not sure if is used for bulletproof vests. Both have been used for climbing protection but Dyneema/Spectra seems to have taken over because they behave more like rope. Both are hard to cut, perhaps Kevlar more so?

For beginner spearing fins I would recommend something with plastic blades. I prefer replaceable blades but it is not essential, plastic blades can last 10 or 20 years, perhaps more. I use and like Beuchat Competition fins - I have 2 pairs and a spare blade and fitting kit - good footpockets for my stubby feet yet also rated highly for slim feet. The Omer footpockets are highly rated too. Again, one of the cheaper plastic blades models would be my suggestion . Omer and Beuchat footpockets are popular so if you want to "upgrade" to more expensive fibreglass (a popular option for spearing) or lightweight carbon fibre later, you have that option, if you choose a model with replaceable blades. However plastic blades work perfectly well for my spearing needs.
Thanks for the advice mr x, much appreciated,

120 will be sweet as , I am based bottom of NZ and I use 120 guns and they sweet as apart from low vis day and then i use a 100 gun as for gloves i use kevlar as for fins check out Wettie I use heaps of there gear and its awesome cheers

120 will be sweet as , I am based bottom of NZ and I use 120 guns and they sweet as apart from low vis day and then i use a 100 gun as for gloves i use kevlar as for fins check out Wettie I use heaps of there gear and its awesome cheers
Awesome thanks for the advice kiwiolo, nice to talk to a fellow kiwi, Do u have to have ur speargun connected to ur float line when shooting snapper, or is that more for king fish??,im gonna start off inside 10meters, hopefully i can find a local to go spearfishing with,

Yeah my gun is attached to float line but my float is a esky sitting inside a inner tube , keeps blood out of water and good to throw paua and crays in

Yeah my gun is attached to float line but my float is a esky sitting inside a inner tube , keeps blood out of water and good to throw paua and crays in
Wow what a terrific idea, I LIKE UR STYLE kiwiolo, be good to use speargun to mark crayfish too while u do a breathe up , im so excited cant wait to shoot my first fish, do u think it be a good idea to get some target practice first, or just learn as u go, ive watched 50 odd videos

Just learn as you go , I have been diving here and overseas for most of my life and now have oldest son spearing with me and it hasn't taken him long to get hang of it , just time in water is all you need

Just learn as you go , I have been diving here and overseas for most of my life and now have oldest son spearing with me and it hasn't taken him long to get hang of it , just time in water is all you need
Right thanks mate ive been snorkel diving all my life, paua, crays im 45 thought i may aswell try shoot a few fish lol, PLUS it be nice to get a few fish from in the water instead of from on the boat

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT