• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

beginner , afraid of every thing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Meshari

Aug 16, 2006
hello

i read in this forum for along time but i just decided to join to ask some quistions .

1- i hunt in open water not more than 15m depth , should i be scared of sharks or baracuda ( i see some there ) ?

2- in our country these two are thought to attack human immediately when they see any one. is it true ?

3- when i see big fish i become afraid that the fish pull me with it . so i intended to buy a reel . so how can i use the reel ? and what lenth the line shold be ?

4- my spear gun is 130cm omer master america with 7mm shaft . what bands size and length can i use use for max range ?

What country are you from?

Ive speared Barracuda to 1.5m and about 15kg. Never had a problem with them attacking.

3 shark bites later, and I'm still ok. Just flesh wounds...

I would worry about Tiger sharks or Great Whites, but Mankind has almost succeded in wiping those species out, so I'm not too fussed.

Reactions: podge
Meshari said:
4- my spear gun is 130cm omer master america with 7mm shaft .

With a 130cm gun and a 7mm shaft you don’t need to fear anything.
With that bad boy you could rule the world.

Meshari said:
3- when i see big fish i become afraid that the fish pull me with it . so i intended to buy a reel . so how can i use the reel ? and what lenth the line shold be ?

With a reel the the reel can lock up and you can be forced to let your gun go. I would ask Miles about using a reel for the type of spearfishing you do. I use a reel and prefer it but you have to be willing to let your gun go.

Personally I havent used a reel yet, but I do think that for your depth of diving a float with 25m floatline should be fine, you can also string your fish on the float wich takes the attention away from you body.
Sharks is part of the game, respect the water and its inhabitants and dont dive when you feel uncomfortable, stay alert and you should be ok.
By the way being afraid might save your ass from time to time.
Save Diving

Dont be scared of useing a reel, I use them all the time and have never had a problem.
Just maintain them well and keep a slight amount of drag on, its stops the line from jumping off and stopping your reel.

If you reel happens to jam just drag the fish to the surface or cut the line with you knife, you dont want to let you gun go they cost to much.

Put as much line as you can on your reel, but dont overload it keep so its sitting just under the body of the reel, you may need all that line one day.

Even with a reel a decent fish will often peel of all the line, if that happens dont let the reel take the load of the fish, hold the line to the body of the gun and have some fun as you get dragged around.

Mate every body is scared the first time they try something new, dont stress about it after a while it all becomes a reflex action

Crusty

hey there meshari, welcome to the forums.

do you dive alone? if so, try to get a dive buddy. makes a big dfference knowing that there's someone to watch your back!
the gun lenght is great for big fish. Do as deep thinker says and get a float line, especially since you are starting out. its much easier not to stress about dropping your gun. and if you see a shark (thats not too big) then swim down to its level, you'll soon see who's more scared of who. if its a big (+4m) shark, then i dont know, try to look like planton?

Griff said:
if its a big (+4m) shark, then i dont know, try to look like planton?

Great stuff almost fell of my chair.rofl rofl rofl

thank u all of u for your help

i have 1 more quistion

when i go for spearing first i walk from the beach in a very shallow water ( 50 cm depth ) for long dstance . then the water become deep suddenly ( more than 10 m ) .

i never go far than 1 m away from the edge between the deep and shallow water which is like a reef where all types of fish swim there .

is it better stay there near this edge or should i go far fore more and bigger fish ?

( i hope u could understand my bad language )

Meshari,

We might be able to give more meaningful answers if you would say where you are diving and what kind of fish you are shooting.

Don’t worry just shoot it, pith it, take it home, cut it up, through it on the BBQ. If it tastes bad don’t shoot it again. This works for big fish, small fish, sharks, scary co-workers, and tax collectors.

freediver7 said:
Don’t worry just shoot it, pith it, take it home, cut it up, through it on the BBQ. If it tastes bad don’t shoot it again. This works for big fish, small fish, sharks, scary co-workers, and tax collectors.

Tax Collectors, BBQing is to way to good for um unless you boil them for at least 4 hours first.rofl

What was I thinking always pressure cook tax collectors for an hour before the BBQ. Pressure cooking work wonders on other tuff critters of the sea; such as octopus, and Conch. Make sure to keep their limbs away from the pressure cookers ruber seal when closing the lid.

Last edited:
freediver7: I dont know what is in that link you just posted, but when I clicked on it my computer went nuts, everything froze and I couldn't close the damn thing down, so I turned the computer off (power off), but after restart I couldn't boot up windows nor aol, so I couldn't get back to the internet. Finally, after a second power off/restart I clicked quickly on F10 (recovery system) I am now back. uff. (Maybe it is Halloween

Dont worry. It was probably my computer. i visited the San Diego Freedives site. it is awesome.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…