• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

beginner blue water hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rifmaniac

Jul 12, 2004
Hi
I'm an absolute beginner in blue water hunting; so many of the following questions are naive.
In a few weeks, my buddy and myself will probably be trying this kind of spearfishing.(we will probably first try reef fishing for amberjacks, and then try and switch to tuna)
I hunt in Tunisia (North Africa).
I use a Riffe 3XS, 8mm shaft linked to a 25m float-line, and two floats: a 4L one and a 11L at the end of the float-line.

My first quesions concern chum. We will probably use sardine and squid. How much chum would you put in water in one go? And should one wait for the chum to be spread by the current before starting to dive ?

Should one start diving even if fish is not yet visible, or its better to just float on the surface untill fish is spotted?

Is a 15 to 25m dive, for a total of 2 to 2.5 minutes enough for this kind of hunting?

I would face the current because that's where the fish would come from when it smells the chum(?)

Once the fish is shot, must I try to keep a hold on the float line, or can I let it go?

Can two floats (4L and 11L) without bungee do the job if for example a 50kg tuna was shot :p ?

Hiya

Word of warning: BE CAREFULL!!!! BLUE WATER HUNTING IS VERY ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!:D:D

My first quesions concern chum. We will probably use sardine and squid. How much chum would you put in water in one go? And should one wait for the chum to be spread by the current before starting to dive ?
Depends on the area and species you're hunting. I've found that alot of chum isn't always a good idea. The YF Tuna's will simply stay down at 20-30m and eat your chum up, as opposed to rising closer to the surface and try and compete with their school for the odd bit of chum. This also makes them less wary of you. Yellowtail on chum is pretty much the same. Much easier to shoot a fish at 10m than at 25m. Safer too!!!! Some fish are more interested in flashers. Just be carefull as chum also attracts sharks.

Should one start diving even if fish is not yet visible, or its better to just float on the surface untill fish is spotted?
Once again, its very dependant on the fish that you hunt and the area. On chum, i normally wait until i see the fish. Unless nothings happening, then only i'll dive to about 10m and see if the fish are feeding deeper. Some fish are curious and by you hanging there, they'll come up to investigate you. EASY!!!:D Flashers on the other hand, need you to dive before you see fish. Some fish are just too shy to come close and by making as if you're also interested in the flasher, you can approach them.

Is a 15 to 25m dive, for a total of 2 to 2.5 minutes enough for this kind of hunting?
Hell, i wish i had a 2.5minute bottom time!!!!! Most of your diving is done in very deep water. So you're effectively only hunting the top column of water. 10-15m is plenty deep enough!!!

I would face the current because that's where the fish would come from when it smells the chum(?)
Logically yes, but remember that you'd be drifting in the current with the chum. Just stay a reasonable distance away from the chum, so as not to scare fish, but close enough to get a shot in.

Once the fish is shot, must I try to keep a hold on the float line, or can I let it go?
Depends on the shot, specie and size. If its a good shot on a fish under 15kg's, you'd most likely be able to hold onto your gear. Anything over 20kg's will most likely rip your float line from your hands!!! Then the fun begins!!!!:D

Can two floats (4L and 11L) without bungee do the job if for example a 50kg tuna was shot ?
NO. If the water is deep, wave good-bye to your gear!!!!

As a start i can highly recommend you to read Blue Water Hunting by Terry Maas. Its VERY informative and probably will answer ALL the questions you might have. Plenty of great advice and awesome stories!!! Probably considered to be the definitive guide to Blue Water Hunting!!!

Your gun is about the minumum length needed for Blue Water. Here the water is generally cleaner and therefor longer shots are taken. Everybody has their preference, but i LOVE my mid-handled guns. Very easy to track with and loads of power!!!

Floats are very important. ALL your floats should be from high density foam or else they'll simply get crushed when a fish pulls your kit under. Look at possibly two 11ltr RA floats with a bungee. The bungee also allows your to land fish that don't have a good holding shot. I use a HUGE boogie board and i've even had that pulled under by a very lively 60kg YF.

Remember that when your put your kit together to rather err on the stronger side. Pointless in hurting a fish and losing all your gear. (Remember to rig your gun as a break-away!!!)

Lastly, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!:D(and post lotsa pictures!!)

Regards
miles

:)

Thanks for the reply.

I meant "put my back to the current".

Floats are very important. ALL your floats should be from high density foam or else they'll simply get crushed when a fish pulls your kit under.
Do you think polystyrene is ok (or maybe cork)? Because unfortunately, foam isn't sold any more in Tunisia.

Can two floats (4L and 11L) without bungee do the job if for example a 50kg tuna was shot ?
NO. If the water is deep, wave good-bye to your gear!!!!
So what volume would you advise?
I've heard of guys hunting in spain with four 25L floats. Isn't that a bit much? Or should one simply get as big a float volume as possible (dividing it into many floats, the smaller floats first)?

Hell, i wish i had a 2.5minute bottom time!!!!!
Total time, not bottom time unfortunately. And I'm more often between 1'50 and 2'15.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT