• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner fins, hard or soft?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pete the padre

Jan 13, 2009
Hi!

I am new to this forum and very new in freedinving in general.
I was just wondering about fins as the title indicates, Since ive only really tried one pair(the ones i currently have) I don't really know if I am using the right stuff to begin with, since i got nothing to compare by.
I currently got these NOC Flexpro fins, now they are pretty ridgid, atleast i think they are, and i recon they are more suited for scubadiving. Hence i was hopnig for some good freediving fins that would suit a beginner for a reasonable $$$. so, what are the best? hard fins? soft? long? short?

Please help =)

I've got Imersion Greens. I think they are standard rigidity and they've been great as my first freediving fins. And the footpockets are really comfortable if you've got wider feet.

For freediving you mainly want a longer fin. Stiffness is just a preference. It's best to go out there and try some out. I might suggest Cressi Gara 2000's and 3000's along with the new Mares Instinct fins. They will run at just about 150$ and are solid begginer fins.

i usually suggest soft blades for a beginner, but it also depends on your weight, your leg strength and some more things
try out some if you can
cressi gara are really good: grey blade = soft, black blade = hard

As a newbie also, i started out with a medium stiffness so i can still use it for any kind of diving if later on i decided to change stiffness. Its a safe way to start for me in my opinion at 88 kgs. Then you can gauge whether you need something harder or softer. 3 fins after, i'm still using medium stiffness:friday but different footpockets, angles and lenghts. I can save more effort and 02 if i go softer but the workout aspect will not be there so thats why i stick to medium. You can consider your body weight also to decide which stiffness to go for.:friday

Fins I have in the order of acquisition ( all in Medium stiffness ):

1st Beuchat Mundial Carbon - 77 cm angle is about 10 to 15 deg
2nd Spierre Pure Carbon - 82 cm angle is about 17 to 20 deg
3rd DiveR Fiberglass - 90 cm angle is about 22 to 25 deg

I'm happy with all of it but in this point, i can part ways with my Beuchat Carbon which i'm using only now when snorkeling with my girlfriend and friends.

Cressi 3000 LD seems to be an all time fave choice of most divers if you wanna go plastic fins.

Cheers:friday

Elvis

For beginner,soft for sure !

If you wants a comparative test, look at that : PSMCAFE, toute l'info sur la Chasse sous marine, l'Apnée, Snorkeling & Photo subaquatique - Comparatifs-2

see u

jEAN cHARLES

Im sorry but my french is a bit rusty
Ty for the tips anyone, now i was also wondering, what you preper, full fot fins or heelstraps? personaly i prefeer my heelstraps since you can use wetboots for em, and fullfots looks like they can slip off your feet pretty easy, thoughts on this?

In as few words as possible I'd tell you buy a set of Cressi 3000 or the Cressi Pro's they are comfy and a great all around fin for 80% of your diving.

No probleme Pete, this adress works fine with google translate.

try it, you'll read without problems

see U

full fot fins or heelstraps? personaly i prefeer my heelstraps since you can use wetboots for em, and fullfots looks like they can slip off your feet pretty easy, thoughts on this?

NO WAY heelstraps for freediving!! :crutch (think everyone here will agree)

if the foot is right sized, it will never slip off your feet, also, the full foot can transfer much more energy from your legs to the blade, this resulting in better finning, better permormance, less energy consumption, longer holds :martial

wow, i'd never thought that...

I totally agree:friday

I totally agree:friday

Me too. When I came back to freedive spearfishing after over 40 mispent years blowing bubbles, I bought a pair of open-heel Ezclapez Blacks. I thought they were just wonderful, but one day a guy on my boat had the same fins in closed heel, so I tried them out. I only made two drops before I was convinced that there was no comparison in energy transfer. The next week I bought the closed heel Esclapez.

I've long since moved on to another brand, but I just wanted to emphasize that I got a chance to try the very same fin in both foot pocket configurations, and there was a big difference.

Reactions: spaghetti
omg, i guess im getting new fins then, hehe.

I've been looking at some fins, now, immersion or cressi?
i kinda need to find fins for the right price since i got other diving gear on the wish list. if you could post more suggestions i would love it!

The Cressi 2000LD (if you can get them :t that is) are a great beginner freedive fin to learn a good finning action on. I think they may be discontinued but well worth it if you see a pair. They are a nice spearfishing fin, kind on the legs, and are quite rugged in construction.

only thing i can find is 3000 LD, those look pretty awesome though they seem impossible to find here in sweden...i just live in the wrong side of the world i can order from outcountry but thats a good 40euro in freight alone...

Hey dudes,
Have a quick read of this
Fins
Don't focus on what brand - fit is more important, even if you were to go and spend $500 on some carbon fibre ones...if the fit isn't good on your feet, it doesn't matter what brand they are.
I've run green escaplez for years and a great fin, cracked one blade (after 10 years use) and recently bought picasso blacks (more comfortable foot pocket for narrow feet), however for me a little stiff in the blade, it gives amazing thrust but hard on longer dives. However I know a heap of friends that swear by them.
If you can try before you buy :blackeye

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…