• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

beginning with hawaiian sling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Doug Gausepohl

Sep 5, 2007
Hey I'm starting out with a Hawaiian sling. I'm thinking of tying a line from my sling to a buoy (probably an empty laundry detergent bottle) in case I happen to hit a big halibut or something. I will be fishing from an ocean kayak. Any and all advice is appreciated!

It'll take more than a laundry detergent bottle to stop a big halibut. try some boat fenders or something more robust.

I doubt that'd work for a number of reasons. The main being the sling will pull out of the fish easily. That's a rig you'd usually do with a speargun and not to mention a detergent bottle will get pulled under relatively easily and bye bye goes all the gear. With a sling 9 out of 10 times (the one time being you make a critical shot i.e. brain or spine) you'll have to grab the fish right away to avoid having it wriggle off then brain it with your knife. You could try a barbed tip if you can find one but those aren't typical of the tradition hawaiian 3-prong.

From reading in here I think I have a pole spear, not a Hawaiian sling. I have a 6ft aluminum shaft with a rubber band loop on the end. I did get the barbed 3-prong spear. I took one of those wrist straps that I use to hold a lobster measurement tool and placed it on the spear's rubber band, to keep the spear attached to my wrist, and it is easily adjustable so I can get it off quickly if I need to. Is that a good idea?

LOL... Well if You do encounter a big one They have a tool for the job here, its known as a 'kveitespyd'. AvKroken Fiske
Not sure if it can be put to good use underwater tho.
You can see it in action if You search on youtube for halibut fishing in northern Norway

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT