• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bent shaft

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 10, 2014
The last time I took my cressi 100 out I shot a fish with a complete pass through and my shaft hit the ground. For the rest of the day I could not hit anything. I now have checked and my shaft is bent. Can it be straightened? How?

Hiya,

It depends on how badly it's bent and what type of spear support or track/rail your gun has (Sorry not sure what your Cressi looks like).
It also depends on what type of spear it is. Because it's softer, stainless is easer to straighten than spring steel so you should end up a better result when straightening a stainless steel spear but keep in mind it will never be 100% again.

If its a non-supported or partial track/rail gun (where the spear rests on top the rail) then you can get away with a straightened spear. Recessed or enclosed tracks makes it virtually impossible unless the spear is professionally straighten and even then it's not really ideal.

What I usually do in order to check how badly it's bent you are going to have to remove the spear completely from the gun. If the shooting line is crimped to the spear and you do not want to cut the line. If your gun is setup like this, unclip the the shooting at the swivel that connects to the gun (no reel) / joins dyneema (reel) and roll it into a coil.

You will then have to find a totally flat surface such as big table and roll the spear over the surface.You should immediately see where the bend is. You can then mark it and attempt to straighten it or take it to an engineering shop to get it professionally done.

Rob Allen also has a vid on how he does it:

Last edited:
You beat me to it landshark. I was going to post the same vid!! LOL... You should be able to straighten spring steel spears more or less ok by hand.

I won't dare tell my opinion as it could cause you to mess up your spear further. THat would probably mean a new spear at a big cost. I'll let someone with a better know-how than me help you out.

Reactions: Polespear.diving
I have always marked the high spot & bent it over my knee, works well sometimes & sometimes you have to cut the spear up to make fish stringers

Ok thanks. I'm glad you mentioned that I could "recycle" the spear. But just in case I mess up, what are some good companies that sell relativity low priced spears?

Reactions: MozSpearer
Sweet! Those look nice. One question though, the page lists several different thickness of shaft. How do you chose a thickness? Or is it set by length?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…