• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question best bi-fins for dolphin kick

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

raindroptrees

Jul 6, 2018
HI everyone! I am looking into buying my first fins. I am confused at the moment because my instinctual style of swimming is the dolphin kick, and my flutter kick is horrible(plus i love the dolphin kick). I will be using bi-fins, not mono, because I usually swim to look at and find things underwater in the rivers. I will be swimming slow along the bottom, water no deeper than 10m, and stopping constantly to keep myself held in one place to grab something, or turning my body in different directions and often using my legs to do reverse kicks. I have not seen any info on this sort of topic, so I wanted to ask other recreational bi-fin dolphin style swimmers on their opinions. I am guessing shorter, medium length fins would be better for me, since I will be in tighter spaces. I am looking at the mares superchannels, but they may be too soft for swimming using the dolphin kick.. I am not sure. Any advice would help. I know that a softer fin means less kicking power, but easier swimming for a longer time. The first and only fins that I have tried were a friend's cheap U.S. divers open heal fins, and I was amazed at how fast I swam.

Forget the Mares Superchannel. To soft.
Imo you should go for a shorter soft fibreglass fin that can withstand some abuse. They are more expensive than plastic dittos, but cheaper than carbon and will last a lifetime.

I know these guys have a pretty wide selection of short fins, I don’t know if it’s something for you but it might be worth checking out!

http://www.fins4u.com

thank you for the reply. I looked into the website and the prices are not bad for the different Things they offer. I am going to take your advice and invest a little more in some softer fiberglass fins.

Just a little heads-up on Fins4U. It’s quality stuff and he follows through on the orders but it can take a few weeks before you get it since the shop is managed by a single person. If it is not a stock item or it is a item made on order it can take some time to get it.

I am very happy with the Salvimar 151. They have a soft plastic blade and removeable footpocket. I do dolphin kicking too. I shorten the blades a little bit because I think its better for dolphin kicking...

I learned the dolphin kick by using short inclined bi-fins, the snorkeling kind, they had a little 15° inclination
and they were nice for learning dolphin kick in the pool, since i rarely ever used a flutter kick in the pool for DNF training (before i got my monos)
I noticed that it's more efficient O2-wise to swim dolphin kick with those short snorkeling bifins, than to do flutter/scissors kicks.
I only used the flutter kick with them at sea, (btw, i still didn't get long freediving bifins yet)

Tbh, i think buying expensive highend short bifins is a waste of money for a freediver.
the only reason you'll buy such expensive shortbifins is if you're doing scuba or snorkeling for long time.
Tho you said you'll be using them in rivers where it's really narrow, (in scuba they are used for cave diving, so i guess your needs and cave diver's needs are similar).

Reactions: raindroptrees
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT