• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best Freediving Computer - 2017 Update!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Recently got the Cressi Drake and so far I love it. Have only been training with it in the pool. First dive is planned on Tuesday. I don't have enough experience with it yet but I am planning to write an in depth review in a while. So far it works flawlessly and the training functions are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is working in Dynamic mode? is able to count each pool?
if you have more details, thanks!

You mean that it's counting every apnea? Yes it does.
In dynamic mode the session starts after the first dive. Activation at 1 m.
It counts the apnea time and then automatically the surface time. You can reset the timers easily without ending the current session. It also gives you the ratio a direct indicator of your session. I can upload pictures later if you like.

You mean that it's counting every apnea? Yes it does.
In dynamic mode the session starts after the first dive. Activation at 1 m.
It counts the apnea time and then automatically the surface time. You can reset the timers easily without ending the current session. It also gives you the ratio a direct indicator of your session. I can upload pictures later if you like.

Seems very interesting because we spend a lot of time in the swimming pool an other computers don't have a specific program

Hi fellow apnoe and underwater sports friends,

first off, thanks for all the comments, opinions, sharing your experiences and ideas concerning the topic.

After long and hard thinking and comparing, not 100 % sure yet, but after all I think I'm still keen on the SP2 from Sporasub, here the link:
http://www.sporasub.com/eng/sp2_eng.asp

This computer is almost the same as the Omer Umberto Pelizzari X1R, however, however, it seems to cost signifficantly less perhaps due to the slightly less flashy styling.

The advantage of having a waterproof heart rate monitor (HRM) - even if only used for static or dynamic pool training - is a convincing argument on its own.
Even when I train in my fitness studio, I always use a HRM (non- "diver" waterproof) to determine the duration of my rest periods between sets and excersises and also to check on my burned calories during and after cardio training sessions.

Additionally the device is compact and the batteries are user replaceable, the LCD Display is the dot matrix type (shows lot of detail, is flexible for firmware updates and also clearly legible).

The Software looks to me like its not quite fully developed yet - unfortunately there is no sample file of a dive profile, so its difficult to judge fully. If anyone has such a demo dive profile I would appreciate if you would make it available...

Thanks again and I look forward to any future postings regarding the issue.

Cheers,
Berx

I did consider that watch too but it seems the same as the x1r. And because of all the reliability issues I read about I crossed it off my list. What makes you think the Hr monitor will be reliable enough not to become a nuisance?

Hi Kodama, I have the Atom2 dc with a tank pressure transmitter from Oceanic that I use on SCUBA and so far this has been working reliably - I assume that the HR transmitter uses the same technology and that the engineers have got that aspect figured out.

I hope I am right with that assumption - if not I will claim my money back! I guess there is always an element of risk with any gadget when new - unfortunatley there are no reviews on the web yet.

Hi Kodama, I have the Atom2 dc with a tank pressure transmitter from Oceanic that I use on SCUBA and so far this has been working reliably - I assume that the HR transmitter uses the same technology and that the engineers have got that aspect figured out.

I hope I am right with that assumption - if not I will claim my money back! I guess there is always an element of risk with any gadget when new - unfortunatley there are no reviews on the web yet.

Good luck with your purchase I hope it works flawlessly. It would be great if you could write a review after you have used it. There are not a lot of good user reviews out there of the latest freediving computers. I am hoping to do the same next week when after some more diving with the Drake this weekend.

Thanks, Kodama, bus as I mentioned, I have yet to decide - I am going to a watersport show in Düsseldorf, Germany (B00t 2017) soon, the biggest watersport expo in the world - I hope that I to get some more clarity there. I look forward to your review on the Drake - that would be my second choice - pity there is not the option of the HRM with the device.

Cheers.

Hi guys, I've been following this thread with interest. Out of all the watches put forth so far, which would be the best strictly for training dynamics in the swimming pool? I've heard good things about the F10?

Hi guys, I've been following this thread with interest. Out of all the watches put forth so far, which would be the best strictly for training dynamics in the swimming pool? I've heard good things about the F10?

I ordered the Cressi Drake because has specific functions for dynamic

I guess F10 has been replaced by F11

Does the Drake start logging at shallow depths? My local pool gets quite shallow at one end :(

For line diving, Mares smart apnea hands down. only because it has the ascending alarm (interval alarm setting) which beeps every configurable 5/10/15 m regardless of going up or down keeping us in control at depth by knowing how far from buddies. Heart rate is gimmick. Knowing the beat rat is a good info but how does it help one dive ?

I learned that my Drake does the same thing except that you can customize up to 3 depth alarms to whatever depth you choose so you are not limited to preset values.

Correction: it can be set to any depths within a limit (like 40m? L), so if the interval alarm is set to 12, it will beep at 12m, 24m, 36m and so on.

It can be conbined with the 6 fixed depth alarms. So on the descent I'll hear both types of alarm (they sound a little different). On the ascent, only interval alarm beeps.

So I have the inval set to 10 which is great for fim. I used to count my asceding pull like 5 pulls is 10m, not anymore, now I'm counting the beep. I can play song in my head yet feel safe when hearing the progession of the beep. Very good distraction tool indeed.

Also I have my standard alarm set at 25,45,and 62 for mouthfill and freefall purposes.

I like that you can set different sounding alarms. Not sure if I have that option. I should look it up in the manual.
Why do you choose to do your mouthfill at 25? It seems deep. If I don't do it before 15m it becomes very difficult.

I like that you can set different sounding alarms. Not sure if I have that option. I should look it up in the manual.
Why do you choose to do your mouthfill at 25? It seems deep. If I don't do it before 15m it becomes very difficult.

That's a different topic but 25m is a standard depth with a good margin of error before RV for lung size of most people. I can fill it a little deeper but it does not matter because I also top up all the way until it feels difficult and shutdown the glottis after that.

If you can't make a max mouthfill at 20m, you probably do something wrong such as not taking full breath of the final breath, or lose shitton of air on equalizing, or way below average chest flexibility..

Indeed off topic nonetheless thank you for elaborating. Probably not enough air intake before descent.

Hi all, I had my first dive with the UP-X1R today and I have to say I am pretty impressed honestly. It was all nice and straight forward, the HR monitor appeared to keep up with one or two little blips, and it is brilliant to have all the other data to look through on the computer afterwards. People seem to make a lot of the alarms - the only one I like to be disturbed by is the surface interval one (I programmed the watch for 2x dive time) and it was nice and loud.

Not sure if the file below will be of interest but it is the desktop program that the computer came with. I tried to make an image of it but am a little pressed for time so hope you won't mind the download instead - if anyone else fancies making a print off then feel free. Information on each separate dive is easily selectable - I was swimming about checking out a few places I like to dive which is why surface intervals are so all over the place.

I'm happy to keep posting but for the money (PC interface and all) so far I think this watch is not bad at all.

Attachments

• print.bmp.pdf
    94.4 KB · Views: 255
Great to hear that the watch is working well for you! It is indeed nice to see how your heart rate relates to your dive profile.
After looking at the screen shots I must say I find the heart rate pattern rather unusual. It makes little sense to me in comparison to my own experience. Could you elaborate on the graph and why your heart rate dropped so suddenly only to continue around the same rate shortly after. It seems like your DR never really kicked in. Maybe I am missing something?

Thank you very much, Jeremy, for your report. I have downloaded and installed the software and would like to get a sample file to see how the software actually functions. Is there any way you could let me have a copy of your actual log file? I would really appreciate it.

I would like to see if it's possible to zoom in on the profile curve in order to understand how many HR and depth samples are taken per second (or whatever timeframe is used).

From your attached bitmap image, I could determine that your HR dropped drastically on your descent - very interesting information. The other detail I noticed: your HR before the decent was rather high, 100 plus, was that intentional?

Like Kodama, I also did not fully comprehend the profile. Perhaps your dive profile log will help.

Thanks again,
Best regards,

Berx

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT