• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best freediving course?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dave_spearo

Dec 25, 2010
I like spearfishing but I don't have formal training in freediving. I heard there is freediving school here in Indonesia. It's located in Gilli Trawangan, Lombok. I'm thinking to take a freediving course. They teach AIDA and SSI course.
Which freediving course is more appropriate for me if I want to improve my spearfishing skill?
What are the differences between AIDA and SSI freediving course?

Thank you

Hey Dave, I have the exact same question myself. I am certified basic SSI level freediver but before that took an AIDA freedive/Spearfishing course. IF you have any info please feel free to share.

Cheers,
Eve

There's some threads on here with the differences but I'd say it's irrelevant which one you go for since the instructors will be the same lol

I have done the AIDA courses myself and they were pretty good so you won't go wrong with them, I am sure SSI are good too

I agree with Simos opinion on this Dave. Same as Scuba, its all about the Instructor as all of the courses are pretty good. Talk to the Instructor first and tell them what YOU want out of the course

This is very true. I did a PADI course a few years ago. My instructor was an ex-special forces dive instructor so the fact it was PADI or any other institute was fairly irellevant.

I'm not sure where you are in Indonesia - it's a big country, but I know that there are several good dive centres in Bali mainly located around Tulamben in the north east of the island. There is a five-star padi resort called Tauch Terminal Tulamben and several other resorts which offer the SSI courses. Also, the place is quite a nice dive spot located near the wreak of the USS Liberty which was sunk during WWII. There are lots of barracuda, napoleon and occasionally even some whale sharks.

Awesome, that;s all real helpful guys. I will continue on my SSI course then. I think there are some shops here in Australia where I can complete my Level 1. I was unable to finish the course before because of equalizing issues due to congestion, lame. Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

I was unable to finish the course before because of equalizing issues due to congestion, lame.
Cheers!
Hi Eve. I have took SSI freediver level 1 course in Gili Trawangan, Lombok. My Instructur, Kate Middleton, is awesome teacher. But unfortunately I only can dive few meters because I have trouble equalizing my left ear. I'm disappointed, but at least I have the basic knowledge of freediving. Now I'm trying to improve my Frenzel maneuver.

Hi Eve. I have took SSI freediver level 1 course in Gili Trawangan, Lombok. My Instructur, Kate Middleton, is awesome teacher. But unfortunately I only can dive few meters because I have trouble equalizing my left ear. I'm disappointed, but at least I have the basic knowledge of freediving. Now I'm trying to improve my Frenzel maneuver.

Try Prince William when you do your level 2 :king

Hi guys

When you swing by in Bali, don't miss out on coming by in Sanur where I teach AIDA freedive courses: Blue Season Freedive Bali

I had now quite a few students that where keen spearos. It is always good to see how spearos enjoy their passion now in a more safe and effective way than they used to.

Contact me for more details.

Cheers
Oli

hi Dave,

Fusion Freediving and Yoga, we are based in Sanur - Bali. We are SSI certified Freediver teaching center in Bali. We pride ourselves on a combined freediving and yoga experience which heightens our customers experience as well as their general wellbeing!

cheers,
Anom
Fusion Freediving

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT