• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best last minute preparation for dynamics competition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

glennv

hybrid lifeform
Nov 28, 2002
Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of the two methods of preparing in the last 45 minutes before a dynamics competition i can think of:
1. Do a couple of warm up dives at ?? % of your targeted distance followed by some time of relaxation / breathup right before the atempt
2. Only do dry non maxing statics as a preparation followed by relaxation and breatup before the dynamic attempt (e.g. no swimming prep)

I have heard that method 2 saves you from unneeded lactic acid buildup that would only limit your max attempt, but then again for constant weight preparations (which might or might not be comparable with dynamic ) i always hear of a couple of warmup dives gradualy increasing in depth to get your mindset right for the target distance.

Greetzzz,

Glenn

Glennv,

My prep involves multiple repeats of 75-85% of my max in the weeks leading up to the competition. For example, 5-8 X 100m, 2-4X 110m, etc...with sufficient rest in between to let muscles recharge their creatine and get rid of lactic acid. This builds the confidence for "going for it." I also include shorter 50m repeats for technique practice.

Actually, you want lactic acid build-up, assuming you have efficient muscles. Lactic acid is a sure sign that you are making use of anaerobic energy pathways, saving oxygen. I make sure I do longer dynamics to practice maintaining clean technique during the burn phase. It is difficult to keep kicking when your legs are burning but this concentration is vital to using up all the stored energy in your muscles.

As for the competition, I favour a minimal warm-up. One or two dry statics and then go. This is in keeping with the maximal use of stored energy. The less your blood is circulating the better. A wet static might even help more. But I tend to get too cold if I'm doing it no suit. Anaerobic legs may burn like crazy, but you're saving precious O2 for your brain.

This routine is based on last minute training (only a week or two) for dynamics at every competition I've attended, including the one where I set my Canadian record.

Ask me again in two months (training for Canadian Nationals) and I'll tell you if my routine changes at all.

Cheer,

Pete
Vancouver, BC

Thanks Pete, this helps. I will stick to a static prep only on the competition day (this sunday)
One question remains. You say you want lactic acid as a sign you are working anaerobic. Doesn't that mean that all you oxigen is already gone and then you body switches to anaerobic ?
So if that is the case you would want it as early as possible while there is still enoug oxigen to keep the brain going a long way (how do you achieve that ?).
But then agian it is accompanied by extreme mussle fatigue >> drop in style >> less distance.

Greetzzz,

Glenn

Thanks Skindiver. This is a very informative post.
Lots to think about and tryout during training.

Greetzzz,

Glennv

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT