• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best piece of advice?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

icarus pacific

Human-in-training
Nov 7, 2001
Seeing as how we're all learning here, let me lob this one out there...

What's been the best single piece of advice you've been given so far in your long and storied diving history?
Gotta love those bold letters... ;)

hi

I reckon one of the best ones for me is when my old man once told me " Always respect sharks but never be scared of them"

Cant really say im not scared of Tigers but anyway :hmm

cheers

I guess the best advice I got was to keep calm and react with smooothnesss....under any potentially dangerous situation.

Adrian

Equalize frequently! Don't wait until it hurts or until you need to.

move slowly under water. be smooth. if it feels good you've done something right.

roland

:cool:

My best advice was not to panic if something went wrong or if circumstances are less than ideal.

Unfortunately I had a chance to test this advice, but everything worked out fine so I know it's good.:)

My best advice so far has come from a guy called Roland

..."If it feels good, you're doing it right..!"

Yay..Thanks roland, good one dude !:cool:

advice it be

Best advice... Do or do not. There is no try.:t
Yoda said this in the dagobar system and I believe it is good advice.
Oh yeah, remember to GLIDE. Mark Harrris said this!

Reactions: stevevidar
"Breathing is a whole lot harder with the top of your snorkel underwater, hunh?", my Dad to me when I was about 4 yrs old and was hacking, spitting and sputtering with water running out of my nose.:D

This is an advice that I think is important for every freediver.

-Don't compare yourself and your performances to others.

If you do you will either put yourself in danger or limit yourself psycologically.

Originally posted by derelictp
Don't compare yourself and your performances to others.

Peter, I think I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree a bit. The performances of others, in any situation, can and are a great motivator to improve for many.
Consider this: if every writer that ever wrote a book had never seen a book written by someone else, for the last thousand years, what would the quality of their written work be? I know it's a strange analogy, but I believe that most writers are inspired and driven to create at a higher level from reading the works of others.
Here's a personal example. When I was a young rock drummer, I never compared myself to the guy that was playing at or below the same level as me. I always aspired to be as good as or better than my favourite drummers that were the best around; John Bonham, Terry Bozzio, Billy Cobham, Tommy Aldridge, Cozy Powell, Buddy Rich, etc. I was generally never quite satisfied with my performances (but still enjoyed them), and usually judged them by the abilities of my mentors, and of course, very importantly, my own abilities.
The trick is, as you say, to not let there be a negative psychological effect. One must remember that s/he is mortal, and accept the errors as part of life and the process of improving.
What do you think?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Hello Erik!

Yes, I totally agree with you on that!! You are seeing it from a slightly different view than me, always interesting to turn things around.;)

My advice was more related to safety!

There are always divers who will break limits and show the way for others who are more conservative! I would not be diving to the depths I'm diving to today if I hadn't trained with my buddies who are in the swedish national team. (even if they still are diving 15-20m deeper than me.:waterwork)

I see it in a short perspective, ex. if me and my buddy are out diving and I dive first and make a pb of 55m and then my buddy dives and does a pb of 58m, the worst I can do is be competitive and go crazy only to beat his pb. This state of mind is good for an athlete in many sports ex, track and field; for freediving it can be very dangerous.

I guess you see it more in the long term! Dive with better divers than yourself, let them show the way and get motivated to set up goals, train, and succeed.:)
This doesn't mean that you on every dive have to compare your subscribed performance to your buddies. It's more like that you adapt your psyke and by motivation-->training, your technique and physics.

Reactions: Erik
For scuba diving: Never hold your breath.

For Freediving: Try and hold your breath a really long time.

Jon;)

Reactions: Griff
advice

Safety advice
No fish, or gear is worth your life. If presented with a less than ideal shot when low on air Come up for air and try again rather than try to stay down just a bit longer and risk SWB. Don't hesitate to drop it all and head for the surface if the unexpected happens, call a buddie over and ask for help.
Always carry a knife or two.

hunting advice:
The fish will always sense your presence, its up to you wheather or not they know your intentions. ie body language.

Reactions: stevevidar
2-4-6
Breathing pattern.. or was it 2-4-8 ?? well anyhow that worked wonders for my diving..

Pekka

Originally posted by Pekka
2-4-6
Breathing pattern.. or was it 2-4-8 ?? well anyhow that worked wonders for my diving..

Pekka

hi

Hey Pekka what does 2-4-6 mean

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT