• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

best pneumatic spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cubandiver

The Cuban
Aug 9, 2002
I've been spearfishing ever since i was 7 now iam 17 and i used many spear guns in my life. I've used cressi's mares and beuchat's . I have a 23 year old creesi 100 and it works like if it was new. It was my fathers first speargun that he bought when he came to miami from cuba all the rest he made back in cuba. Now i use a mares 130 "pipin model" sten and can it shoot it well fire the spear at high speed for a long str8 distance. But what is the best pneumatic speargun out ther today. My friend has a beuchat and it shoots nice and i dont like those wood spearguns or plastic. i like pneumatics its because how good they are and how long they last. So what do u think is the best speargun?

personally i use a normal band powered gun but my best friend uses a Mares Cyrano 800 and loves it. Ive heard claims that it has the same impact power as a .357 magnum handgun but im sure thats the same for almost any band gun of the same size. I guess the benefit that you can swim and dive for a long period of time with the gun loaded and ready to shoot is appealling as you are ready to fire almost all the time. My buddy says that loading is also very easy. i have fired the gun and found that it feels a little off balance but that is compared to my mid-handle AB Biller gun. Some of the parts of the Mares cyrano series do come off rather easily, however, as the parts are mainly constructed of plastic. the shock cord line retention device was the first thing to go. depending on what fish youd shoot, id like to have the Mares cyrano 1100, which is their pneumatic version of a bluewater gun. that would be nice to have as opposed to loading a 4 band riffe or daryl wong :duh

Hi Guys,

I never own any pneumatic longer than 95 cm. I can't load it. 110cm is about the longest I can ever load. I used Sten 85 cm something and the Scubapro 95cm. Now I only have a Cyrano 850, this is my sixth pnue. Pneumatic won't last long, it is heavy on maintenance, if u use it very often. The barrel and the moving seals on the piston will be the first to go. As for Sten, if they never modified/correct the weakness, watch out for the plastic clip that hold the 2 mini o-rings which are for the trigger push pin. They are fun 2 use though. Good to hear you like them too. I began shooting with pneu and that is why I still must own at least 1 pneu, I love them a lot.

Now I mainly use Riffe, teak model but rear handle. I heard Brazil has a brand called Cobra but I think no info or www on that brand. I been trying to learn more of it. I heard the Brazilian love pneu a great deal.

If you compared 2 band gun with 9/16" rubber, length for length the pneu can compete and probably better power output, say up to 60 feet depth. If the band gun can handle 3 rubbers or more, power wise the pneu will not be able to compete. Accuracy of the pneu is great, no muzzle flip and much less recoil for the output power, but the noise it make when the piston ram to the muzzle damper, compared to a Riffe is just too explosive.

Tell me more of the STEN 130, very interesting.

BTW, welcome to this forum.

Cheers
IYA

Reactions: jks
Originally posted by LaJollaFreedvr
that would be nice to have as opposed to loading a 4 band riffe or daryl wong :duh

Just eat your breakfast, meditate a bit and develop good abs. No prob.
Welcome aboard.

sven

Alternatively , skip all of the above , move straight to the top and get a railgun ...rofl

Some of my friends and cousins using pneumatics.Many people that using pneumatics will have problems in long period of time.Maintaince is not as easy as band guns.I never prefer pneumatics which are less powerfull, more louder and not reliable. Bands guns live forever ;)

PNEUMATIC IS MY CHOICE

Hey what's up buddy, I am a Miami SPEARO also and the word in SOUTH FL is pretty split, alot of people like a band and by the same token a lot like PNEUMATIC, my self and my spearfishing buddies rather PNEUMATIC, and all my GUNS are pneumatic. I have a MARES CYRANO 110cm as my back up and my BABY is a SEAC SUB 115. You don't hear much about this GUN but I got a DEAL on it tthrought the SHOP on this site (DiveInn) I paid $93.00US + Shipping total about $120.00 (the price just went up to $102.00), and I tell you there isn't a PNEUMATIC (Cressi nor Mares) that can hang with it. All my buddies have had this gun (Which use to be PRO DIVE) and they've had it for aprox 8 years and the GUN is everlasting. But like everyone mentions maintenance is a very key element in a pneumatic gun's life, as long as you stay up with it you'll have GUN for a long time.

Enjoy and let me know of any good days out in the FLORIDA waters, I love to hear and see some PICS of a GOOD day out in the WONDERFUL Florida waters (too bad we are running out of fish.....lol). My E-Mail address is geofdz@bellsouth.net if you need any tips or info let me know.

See ya,

Yes, I am with GeoDFdz. Pneumatic gets my vote too.

PNEUMATIC IS MY CHOICE

Hey what's up buddy, I am a Miami SPEARO also and the word in SOUTH FL is pretty split, alot of people like a band and by the same token a lot like PNEUMATIC, my self and my spearfishing buddies rather PNEUMATIC, and all my GUNS are pneumatic. I have a MARES CYRANO 110cm as my back up and my BABY is a SEAC SUB 115. You don't hear much about this GUN but I got a DEAL on it tthrought the SHOP on this site (DiveInn) I paid $93.00US + Shipping total about $120.00 (the price just went up to $102.00), and I tell you there isn't a pneumatic speargun (Cressi nor Mares) that can hang with it. All my buddies have had this gun (Which use to be PRO DIVE) and they've had it for aprox 8 years and the GUN is everlasting. But like everyone mentions maintenance is a very key element in a pneumatic gun's life, as long as you stay up with it you'll have GUN for a long time.

Enjoy and let me know of any good days out in the FLORIDA waters, I love to hear and see some PICS of a GOOD day out in the WONDERFUL Florida waters (too bad we are running out of fish.....lol). My E-Mail address is geofdz@bellsouth.net if you need any tips or info let me know.

See ya,

No wonder, that I am biased towards pneumatics as well but don't put to much into it as I have only shot around two band guns.
But more interestingly, Diving4Fun has to be setting the record for reviving the oldest thread;-)
10+ years! Haha.

But I really did like to hear the story of the OP and his dad's first non-homemade gun and how it, ten years ago, was still going strong after 23 years...!:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT