• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best Red Mullet recipe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

devondave

Oct 5, 2007
This is my favourite Red Mullet recipe , nicked from Hugh Utterly-Nutterly's Fish book . You need :-
2 fresh Red Mullet , gutted/scaled but keep livers ,
1 tablespoon olive oil ,
25g unsalted butter ,
1 or 2 cloves garlic , unpeeled ,
1 bay leaf ,
2 finely chopped green olives ,
1 anchovy fillet , finely chopped
1 tablespoon white wine ,
salt & fresh black pepper .
Season the fish , put large pan on medium heat , add oil & butter & garlic & bay leaf .
Add whole fish cook for 8-10 mins , turn & cook for further 6-7 mins or 'till cooked through .
Remove fish and keep warm .
Keep pan on heat , remove garlic & peel then chop , add to olive & anchovy fillet , add this mix to pan with livers & wine .
Saute' for 30 sec's, mash together then smear over skin of the Mullets .
Serve with mash or saute'ed potatoes & nice salad .
This is a strong flavoured dish and could go well with nice beer or an aromatic wine , perhaps a good off dry Riesling from the Rheingau . :friday

Reactions: Mr. X
Sounds wonderful:p Keen to try Red Mullet. Not sure that I could accurately identify a fish's liver though. What does it look like?

Most good fish mongers will reserve Mullet livers for you , or take it out of the fish if you ask . If doing it yourself , the liver is the thing that looks like a big blood clot , easier to remove with a spoon . Red Mullet liver is delicious , but must be fresh . I can only say this is one of the best recipes I've tried in ages , more so because it's very simple .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT