• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best Red Mullet recipe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

devondave

Oct 5, 2007
This is my favourite Red Mullet recipe , nicked from Hugh Utterly-Nutterly's Fish book . You need :-
2 fresh Red Mullet , gutted/scaled but keep livers ,
1 tablespoon olive oil ,
25g unsalted butter ,
1 or 2 cloves garlic , unpeeled ,
1 bay leaf ,
2 finely chopped green olives ,
1 anchovy fillet , finely chopped
1 tablespoon white wine ,
salt & fresh black pepper .
Season the fish , put large pan on medium heat , add oil & butter & garlic & bay leaf .
Add whole fish cook for 8-10 mins , turn & cook for further 6-7 mins or 'till cooked through .
Remove fish and keep warm .
Keep pan on heat , remove garlic & peel then chop , add to olive & anchovy fillet , add this mix to pan with livers & wine .
Saute' for 30 sec's, mash together then smear over skin of the Mullets .
Serve with mash or saute'ed potatoes & nice salad .
This is a strong flavoured dish and could go well with nice beer or an aromatic wine , perhaps a good off dry Riesling from the Rheingau . :friday

Reactions: Mr. X
Sounds wonderful Keen to try Red Mullet. Not sure that I could accurately identify a fish's liver though. What does it look like?

Most good fish mongers will reserve Mullet livers for you , or take it out of the fish if you ask . If doing it yourself , the liver is the thing that looks like a big blood clot , easier to remove with a spoon . Red Mullet liver is delicious , but must be fresh . I can only say this is one of the best recipes I've tried in ages , more so because it's very simple .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…