• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best side-tracking/turning speargun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tomy Suero

Jul 12, 2007
OK guys and gals, I have a question:

Sometimes, when I spot a catch and prepare to engage it, the fish surprises me from the side. When I try to change my aim toward the side, my speargun always gives me a certain amount of resistance(turning 90 degrees toward my right).

What speargun do you know that offers the least amount of resistance? Of the Seatec Gabiano, Omer HF and Omer HF2, which have you tried that tackles this situation the best?

Thanks in advance
Tomyrofl

How long would this gun be? A Wong hybrid has a 25mm tube I think the narrowest of them all but with the added advantage of having the mass to make the gun handle a bit of power if you need it. So I reckon a mid handled Wong hybrid would be very high on the list.
Try bringing the gun in towards your body and re extending in the direction you want, it's a much better way of turning a gun in many situations.

Reactions: Mr. X
The Omer Gold XXV has a 25mm barrel too eh, but doesn't have the mass if it needs big power.

It's one of the things I have not understood on rear handle guns. My guns all have at least 12 inches of stock behind the handle which helps a great deal with turning and tracking. It does not have to be "mid-handle" per-se, just needs some more stock behind the handle. I have one hand on the trigger, and the other hand on the but of the gun.

- Robbert

Reactions: spaghetti
The Omer Gold XXV has a 25mm barrel too eh, but doesn't have the mass if it needs big power.
Agreed.
Yes in facts I would suggest the XXV Gold (or eventually the new HF2) but only in short sizes from 75 to 90cm.
BUT if you're talking of longer guns for long powerful shots on fat fish, well if so it's true you need a gun with more mass. I like a lot my Gabbiano 120 wich tracks very nicely for such a big mass (and also a reasonable price).
Many people swear on the C4 (but they're significantly more expensive). I tried the Mr.Carbon 104 in a pool shooting session and felt like I was handling a pencil or a bistury knife; very, very sweet tracking.

all said by my buddy spaghetti here, i havent tried the cayman HF, but the gabbiano has very nice side tracking, the c4 has EXCEPTIONAL side tracking..

Not an expert on big guns or many types of guns but have a bit of general experience :). I like my XXV Gold 90 and I use it as my main daytime gun. Small, light, easily aimed but packing a good punch for a single band gun. It's very accurate, with a flat trajectory. Sweet trigger, but needs a firm grip and good posture to control recoil.

Good advice from Spaghetti led me to discover this little beauty. Thanks.

Dave

Good advice from Spaghetti led me to discover this little beauty. Thanks.Dave

Spaghetti strikes again !

This darn thread has got thinking about the Mr. Carbon again (I will have to say I don't like the muzzle on them)

On tracking, the width of the shaft can make a difference, if you are looking into ways of improving the tracking on existing guns, and I also wonder how much of a factor the rail over the whole barrel makes a diference.

More on the HF, since I have one, it tracks really well side by side, but the gold might be even better, we need to get input from somebody who has both.

To Be honest i push with the free hand and find its fast and easy for any rear handled gun, and if its such a fast reaction at 90 then apart from a cressi star 35 nothing can track that fast, but you will never beat a mid handled gun for the speed. Euro guns, nearly all the eliptical barrels are good, just depends on wrist strenght, length of gun and tecnique, all these points were covered by the posts above so dont listen to me.

Peter.

HE HE HE :) :) :)....Ferrari? Sort of...
I look forward to get my infos tomorrow and post here at lunch time.

I will tell you if the C4 comes out with a better muzzle and a more simple way to rig the shoting line, there will be a kidney for sale (blood type O+). :t

I will tell you if the C4 comes out with a better muzzle and a more simple way to rig the shoting line, there will be a kidney for sale (blood type O+). :t

Ok Strangelove, that's it: a Mr.Carbon with a sort of "Hammerhead type" muzzle and....much, much more really new. I'll post tomorrow about this new gun in development. There'll be a lot of features to discuss, believe me! :)

I too have encountered this "handicap" common in most guns and have made a few Diamond shaped rear handle guns that have impressive side-side & up-down swing.

I believe the Mares Phantom can be added to the list as well. I don't know what to expect but to one extend you can compare it to the slick Mr. Carbon. I seen lateral tracking videos in the Mares testing pool & I believe the gun was design to greatly improve lateral drag. I personally trust Mares & I look forward to seeing their gun in action.

I have to say this might be my 2nd gun, But I would consider it, if only I can mount a thicker shaft to it 7mm.

Also there is a mini presentation on the gun on youtube in the EUDI event.

YouTube - Larompiente.com - Mares en el EUDI Show 2008 sorry it's in Spanish but @ least you can see the gun live.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magpie
have you tried the TRIAX? (sorry can't be bothered to search too much) it has three narrow fibre tubes in place of the single thicker one.

here, on sale too

Triaxx IMERSION Guns Guns Chile Dive Scuba store .com

other idea is to try a different technique: keep the butt of the gun at waist level with your shooting arm back, see a fish and straighten arm in fishes direction and shoot. sorry, bad description, Spago probably has Latin definition of this style.. it is useful for long guns in lots of weed or with lots of current..

Last edited:
Not an expert on big guns or many types of guns but have a bit of general experience :). I like my XXV Gold 90 and I use it as my main daytime gun. Small, light, easily aimed but packing a good punch for a single band gun. It's very accurate, with a flat trajectory. Sweet trigger, but needs a firm grip and good posture to control recoil.

Good advice from Spaghetti led me to discover this little beauty. Thanks.

Dave

Hello Dave! It means that on that situation you will rather have Omer Gold instead of Gabbiano(both 90cm)? Also thanks everybody for all advices. Tomy..

Always been tempted by a Triaxx ever since I started spearing Az. I think its a great concept, one day...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT