• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best video camera to mount on speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'm using a Contour Roam in a 30m housing and tried it head mounted and gun mounted using the Contour flexible band around the barrel of my pneumatic.

I am finding with it barrel mounted I miss a lot of fish but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Head mounted is great but it'snot so easy to keep the movement slow and smooth or film in very shallow water so I think I will stick with the gun mount for the moment.

Gun mounted and some Scottish Bass somewhere I really didnt think they would/should be

[ame=http://youtu.be/HrANttJo53w]Camera mount test 2 & some very unexpected visitors at 1min54sec - YouTube[/ame]

This is headmounted and shows the challenge I had in shallow water with it. The gun mount would have been ideal in this situation -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq1ToyQSG6k&feature=relmfu]Spearfishing Mackerel and Pollock - YouTube[/ame]

I mounted my gopro hd2 on my mask, it feels so much better as in comfortablr than when I had my midland xtc300 on my speargun. If you want some tips just contact me on lawstraljan16@live.com and i could post you some pics and some tips.

PS: even footage looks so much better when on your mask rather than mounted on the speargun.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I use Mako's mount - works well.

Yeah it looks good though i see they don't post to the UK and i can't see that they have a dealer here. Any ideas or other designs?

I've used the go pro with the elastic head mount it comes with. You don't realise how much to scan until you watch your clips back, i much prefer gun mounted as it stabalises the image nicely. A cheap piece of aluminium, a go pro tripod mount at one end and two holes drilled the other end allow me to cable tie it to the omer HF100 reel mount (with a back up line of course). It's dirt cheap and works a treat, no issues with recoil either but then it's a single 20mm band.

Sadly my Rob Allen doesn't have this so it looks like i may need to spend a few quid.

Sorry to highjack the thread again but so people know Mako have just emailed me back and if you email them what you are after they will quote you postage to areas they don't list.

I have just seen this and have ordered the clamp (the address is in the video authors description)

£9 to the UK, worth a go even if customs wants their cut

Last edited by a moderator:

Does look like a lot of 'scaffolding' though Slicky... would be too cumbersome for me... so is the GoPro?

Yes a bit i guess but i'm always shopping for these toys on a budget so it should cater for my needs in the UK.

As for the go pro size it's by no means the slimmest camera (though i hear the hero 3 has just come out and is something like 30% smaller) but as i'm right handed and have the camera mounted to the right it never seems to effect my aim and is light enough not to cause any stress on my wrist from the addition weight being out to the right.

Time will tell as to how good the mount will end up being, but i always use a back up line where ever it's used it'll be fun to test out.

Budget was paramount for me... so I bought this little bullet cam and put up this thread. I did have some problems but they were resolved with help. Results below speak for themselves (change quality to 720p)?

Shooting a spear directly at a flat rock from 2 feet away... I foresee a Darwin Award in your future rofl

Reactions: Jonny250
Now the point is embarrassingly pushed... I lost a large Mullet later in that dive when my spear just bounced off it... you live and learn. Truth be told that was my first (and probably last) ever Flounder, not keen on the taste of flatties and also why I hesitated for so long. My son enjoyed it though. I noticed neither of you mentioned the last fleeing Mullet shot or the quality of the camera in good vis though?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…