• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Bluefin Are In!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
We have bagged 5 tuna this week on rod and reel.

1 of 298 kilos. 2 of 270 kilos. 1 of 180 kilos and 1 of 170 kilos.

How would I go about catching one fo these with a gun. Is it possible????

We can see the tuna breaking the surface so divinf infront of the school should not be a problem.

As a med spearo whose usual fish are no larger than 5 kilos what should I do.

Thanks

Shane

Originally posted by shaneshac
We have bagged 5 tuna this week on rod and reel.

1 of 298 kilos. 2 of 270 kilos. 1 of 180 kilos and 1 of 170 kilos.

How would I go about catching one fo these with a gun. Is it possible????

We can see the tuna breaking the surface so divinf infront of the school should not be a problem.

As a med spearo whose usual fish are no larger than 5 kilos what should I do.

Thanks

Shane

Hi shane

A 298kilo fish WOW what did you do with all that meat.

I have not shot Tuna like that, but you would have to have at least 3 foam floats with lots of bungee in between. Unless you have a slip tip im not so sure how your spears on your euro guns would hold up against a fish like that, maybe you will have to try for a stone shot or no shot at all. Do you own/have access to bigger guns.

cheers

If you brave enough and have much confidence to pull the triger to those giants. Just go and buy any Bluewater gun with proper terminal gear.
If you have access to those giants and you put your life to spear one,don't even think about the money. Just buy the best gear available and reduce the risk of loosing fish or even your life.

Reactions: caymandiver
Murat,

Would a Totemsub Tahiti with 2x 20mm bands have enough power to penetrate one of those monsters?

Murat,

Would a Totemsub Tahiti with 2x 20mm bands have enough power to penetrate one of those monsters?

Sure it will penetrate if you get close enough, but your biggest concern is how your spear is going to stop from being snapped.

cheers

Didn't even think that would be a concern. Shows what I know about blue water hunting.

Well thanks for that or I would have learnt the hard way.

How would you solve that problem???

hi Shane

The only way to avoid snapping a shaft on a fish like that is by using a detachable head or a slip tip. The only problem is they are hard to find for euro guns, actually I dont know any that are commercially made. I made a home made slip tip for my Rob allen it is not so hard but takes some time.

Im sure you know the basic way the slip tip works, i will describe anyway. When we shoot fish with our normal euro spears the barb opens and the fish swims off and the shaft flexes due to water pressure and fish power/speed. With a tuna that big the shaft will almost certainly snap at the notches almost immediately, with the slip tip the shaft penetrates then as it comes back through the tip slides off the adapter and toggles leaving the cable with attaches the tip to the adapter. This takes the pressure off your spear cos of the cable between the tip and spear.

Your crimps will also be of concern, as well as the type of shooting cable you are using. If a fish that big is not stoned the pressure it puts on the crimps and shooting cable as it pulls your floats down will be enourmous.

Have you read the Wr Tuna story about that Paulo Gaspar guy, im pretty sure he stoned that huge Tuna however he was using a slip tip, Maybe you could get a local Metal worker to machine up a custom slip tip for you. My home made slip tip worked fine until I decided to change the material that hook the tip to adapter and it got cut off on sharp coral.

Im sure someone know links to show you the basic slip tip design. The Bluewater hunting book by Terry maas is also a good read about the type of hunting that you plan on carrying out.

cheers

Thanks Ivan.

I will see if I can find any posts on making my own slip tip.

What thickness shaft would I need??

How many bouys would it take to hold one of these up!

Oh I Forgot to mention that Picasso are now making a slip tip of their own.

Does anyone know if they are for euroshafts?

Originally posted by ivan
Sure it will penetrate if you get close enough, but your biggest concern is how your spear is going to stop from being snapped.

cheers

Probably yes, but do you want to risk it? If you want to shot them with tahiti you better to buy big one. I am not sure if tahiti can handle 2*20mm:hmm. Before you go the hunt make sure you learned the anatomy of that fish. Its absolutelly neccessary to make most effective kill shot. Try to learn some behaviour about them. For example how stalk them or what they generally do after speared. I read Gaspar's story that after he speared tuna it broke through water and jump to him. The giant fish almost knock him on his head.

Originally posted by ivan
hi Shane

The only way to avoid snapping a shaft on a fish like that is by using a detachable head or a slip tip. The only problem is they are hard to find for euro guns, actually I dont know any that are commercially made.

In the past OMER made one but i dunno if they are available anymore.

Or you can buy Riffe threaded euro shaft and use kitto / wong slip tip. Wong has low profile one that he is using on hybrids.

The onll problem is that the shipping costs, from USA or Hawaii to Gibraltar, are Stupid. Will have to find someone going on holiday to get me one.

Do slip tips stay in the fish if they don't penetrate to the other side?

The onll problem is that the shipping costs, from USA or Hawaii to Gibraltar, are Stupid. Will have to find someone going on holiday to get me one.

Do slip tips stay in the fish if they don't penetrate to the other side?

I definatelly know what you mean mate. But we also have %60 duty and need special license to buy import speargun. Doesn't matter if its only one. But surprisingly we have Riffe dealer in greek side of the island. They have only standart series in stock. But they can bring another model if you wish. You better to check ticket prices to cyprus and you break free from shipping + duty fee.

Originally posted by Murat
I am not sure if tahiti can handle 2*20mm:hmm.
Of course they can... its all a function of shaft thickness *insert Sven comment here*

Slip tips will toggle within a fish, say against the spine or under the skin but for maximum holding potential you want full penetration and a toggle on the other side of the fish.

Avoid the temptation to shoot the Tuna in the gillplates. Terry Maas tells the story in his book of how his tuna gun shaft bounced off a gillplate. Probably the best option is to shoot from behind the fish, slightly downwards so the shaft enters above the pectoral fin and exits near the gill area on the opposite side. That way you are doing max damage to the fishs blodd supply.

If you are going to use a euro gun setup for for a breakawy, at least a 7.5mm shaft and a gun length of at least 130cm. Thats the RobAllen setup that has taken Marlin, Sailfish and Dogtooth in the past.

Thanks Ivan.

I will see if I can find any posts on making my own slip tip.

What thickness shaft would I need??

How many bouys would it take to hold one of these up!

Hi

On one of my videos a 60-70kg Dogtooth tuna pulls 2 floats down, one is a Boogie board type float and the other is just a normal oval shape float, the tuna snags the rig on the reef at 50m+ and breaks the line.

I have read many stories about Greg Pickering (Current Yellowfin Wr holder) and others who dive the islands off mexico, they report Tuna of 200lbs pulling 3 foam floats down into the blue easily, they will wait on the surface till the floats hopefully pop up and chase them down and fight the fish.

I think monster Tuna that you have of 300kilos will require an excellent shot to be landed at all. If you use the right terminal gear and have foam floats you could possibly take a shot, jump in your boat have binoculars ready to hopefully spot the floats when they surface.

cheers

In order for such a monster fish to count as a record:

C. GENERAL RULES
1. Divers must be freediving when they spear and land their catch. The use of artificial breathing devices is not allowed at any time (e.g., to retrieve the speared fish).
2. Divers must remain in the water and unassisted until the fish is subdued.
3. Divers must retain contact with their float and/or line at all times. If contact is lost, they must re-establish contact while remaining in the water. No assistance may be provided, except that other divers or persons out of the water may inform the diver as to the location of the fish or floats. The diver may hold onto their floats, but may not rest upon them.
4. While potentially dangerous, the use of bait or lures is allowed, provided that with the use of bait, divers make and distribute it themselves, unassisted (bait used for this purpose must be captured by the diver using it), or in the case of lures, they carry them themselves.
5. Fish must be free-swimming, unrestricted by nets, traps, fishing lines or other devices.
6. Fish must not be in an artificial environment such as penned-in bays, or in close proximity to fish nets or fish rearing pens.
7. The catch must follow all laws and regulations governing the species or the waters in which the fish was caught.
8. Another diver may provide a second or additional unloaded gun to the spearfisher, provided they do not assist the diver in any way to subdue their catch.
9. Fish mutilated by anything other than the spearfishing equipment of the applicant are not allowed.
10. The use of artificial light sources for night spearfishing is not allowed.

From the IUSA website...

a fish that big would be a monsterous effort to take. i do not think you should take a shot unless you are very well prepared, best gear and only the best possible gear. a fish that big is to great of an asset to be lost on a bad shot or faulty gear. i can understand the temptation.
lance

Originally posted by Shadowkiller
In order for such a monster fish to count as a record:

C. GENERAL RULES
1. Divers must be freediving when they spear and land their catch. The use of artificial breathing devices is not allowed at any time (e.g., to retrieve the speared fish).
2. Divers must remain in the water and unassisted until the fish is subdued.
3. Divers must retain contact with their float and/or line at all times. If contact is lost, they must re-establish contact while remaining in the water. No assistance may be provided, except that other divers or persons out of the water may inform the diver as to the location of the fish or floats. The diver may hold onto their floats, but may not rest upon them.
4. While potentially dangerous, the use of bait or lures is allowed, provided that with the use of bait, divers make and distribute it themselves, unassisted (bait used for this purpose must be captured by the diver using it), or in the case of lures, they carry them themselves.
5. Fish must be free-swimming, unrestricted by nets, traps, fishing lines or other devices.
6. Fish must not be in an artificial environment such as penned-in bays, or in close proximity to fish nets or fish rearing pens.
7. The catch must follow all laws and regulations governing the species or the waters in which the fish was caught.
8. Another diver may provide a second or additional unloaded gun to the spearfisher, provided they do not assist the diver in any way to subdue their catch.
9. Fish mutilated by anything other than the spearfishing equipment of the applicant are not allowed.
10. The use of artificial light sources for night spearfishing is not allowed.

From the IUSA website...

Hi

Yeah ok they are the rules if he is interested in a wr, but if you want the safest and best chance of finding your fish and gear after the shot having a boat with binoculars would be so valuable for finding the floats. Im sure a fish that big will take the floats down for quite some time if not stoned, and if you are in the water scanning the horizon for floats it would be almost impossible to see them, especially in rough weather and the wrong sun glare.

Be careful out there :cool:

cheers

Thanks for all that advice guys :)

I am not too worried about a world record right now but I don't want to hurt a fish that big for the hell of it.

I will get my gear ready and then take a few shots at a dead tuna when we catch one trolling on rod and reel.

That should give me an idea of the power i need to penetrate one of those fish.

I'll try a gill shot too and confirm if it bounces or not.

I could be the pioneer of extreme spearing HEHE!!!!

Or on the other hand my headstone could read:

Shane Shac
RIP
DIED ATTMPTING A NEW FREEDIVING RECORD USING A LIVE SLED
(AKA BLUEFIN TUNA)

:duh

Thanks for all that advice guys :)

I am not too worried about a world record right now but I don't want to hurt a fish that big for the hell of it.

I will get my gear ready and then take a few shots at a dead tuna when we catch one trolling on rod and reel.

That should give me an idea of the power i need to penetrate one of those fish.

I'll try a gill shot too and confirm if it bounces or not.

I could be the pioneer of extreme spearing HEHE!!!!

Or on the other hand my headstone could read:

Shane Shac
RIP
DIED ATTMPTING A NEW FREEDIVING RECORD USING A LIVE SLED
(AKA BLUEFIN TUNA)

:duh

So you gonna try it????

If don't have an access to Riffe or anyother bluewatergun. You may think to buy TOTEM TUNA gun. May be Fabirizo can help you about float setup.I read from other tuna hunters stories that float bungie is essential. They generally use more than one float or either buggy board.
But in any case do some search and talk to some experts before you try it ok ! ! !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT