• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Eyes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hawkeye31

May 5, 2002
After missing my only shot at a fish yesterday, I lost my Super-ochio mask while getting tossed around the tidepools by the surf. Before I order another identical mask from the sweet, local, on-line store:eek: , i want to ask someone (anderson), about the Cressi Big- Eyes.

I love the idea of increased vis, and the increase in volume shouldnt be a problem for me because I like to stay as shallow as possible;) . But some of the reviews I read stated that they are weak, and tend to leak. What are your experiences with these, and does anyone use silicone sealant to reinforce their masks?

Also, what is the kine technique to permanently glue/seal a snorkel to a mask strap to prevent squeeking?\\\

Thanks,
Adam

Hawkeye,
I bought a cressi big eyes not to long ago. I don't think it's a bad mask by any means but I know one thing, if you have a narrow face like I do then I don't recommend it. I could never get a good seal on it , it's just to wide for my face. Someone with a normal face probably won't have a problem though.
I know Anderson and others can give you a much more indepth review, so I'll leave the technical stuff to them.
:eek:

ask Elvis??

Man, there's an accident waiting to happen... :t

I too thought that the Big Eye was a sweet setup until I tried one on and could see daylight past the seal on my mug. Happily I found that HanaPa'a is carrying the AQA line of masks including the Mantis which is just sooo smooth it's dakine and a half! Comes in Amber for the lowlight stuff and Mirror for you highway cops in training. They have a bunch of remakes of masks gone by and the price is sweet too. 5 of my masks are AQA's and I've nuttin but good things to say about 'em.

sven

Last edited:
Ill look into the AQA mask, Id never heard of them before.....
That fit thing is a problem when ordering products online. If you dont know exactly what you need, it is hard to take advantage of on-line deals. Im also not a fair judge of the character (Width) of my mug. It looks kind wide, but I dunno. Maybe I need liposuction....Damnit, the mirrors gettin foggy:hmm

Hey fellas,

The bigeyes is great for shallow stuff. Sorry Sven, but I find the AQA mantis a bit too cumbersome and heavy for warm water diving. I guess it's more about what fits your face. :confused:

Anyhow, Aquiles only uses the bigeyes and he's had it down to 110' w/ no problem. The only problems he's had were that some of the one's he's ordered leaked. But, being that the scubastore is so sweet, they promptly shipped him a replacement. :D

I think the greatest feature about the bigeyes is that the increase in field of vision is quite relaxing.

Another decent mask to try out is the cressi focus or the beauchat mundial. I think they're pretty comfy, too. Same field of vision to the sides as the big eyes, but w/ less volume. :cool:

By the way, Adam, if you need a super occhio, I've got quite a few laying around. :hmm

Later,
Anderson

Used the big eyes this summer. Great vision for up and down. I have the clear skirt which I dont recommend. The glare near the surface comes through the skirting. Still use my sporasub sams w/tinted lenses. Snapper seem to ignore you when they cant see your eyes. I know its probably bull*.*@ but it makes me feel better.

Thanks for the info boys
Im gonna try on a few masks tonight for fit.
Iya, if I had a good story to tell, you would be the first to know. The vis was pretty good tonight, probably 30-40 ft. I saw lots of opaleye, calico, sheephead of both sexes, stripped bass, and schools of sardine- those sardine almost gave me wood. No fish brought home.
Later,
Adam

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT