• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

big improvement in static apnea !!!! why????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

maltaspearo

Aug 2, 2003
today i had great results in my static apnea and i cant understand why .
i went to the gym and did a 20 minute run on the tread mill at 180 hbp. then i did a full leg workout at high reps and high heart rate. after that i spent 30 minutes in the steam room and became very dizzy after such a long time in the steam room. so i got out had a warm shower and went to the pool.
i got in the pool and prepared to to some statics. i started with an empty lung dive . after 1 minute 40 seconds into my empty lung dive i stop and surfaced. i could have went on but stoped out of fear i might black out and bordom. i had no contactions or anything. this was weird and scary cause i could not understand why. my longest empty lung dive was 40 seconds and now i did 1 :40 no problem. anyway after that i started my first static and stopped at 3 minutes again no contactions or discomfort at all . then i stoped my statics out of fear i might black out in the pool alone.i usually use my contactions as a reference to how hard i was pushing it but i had no contactions today so i stoped .better safe than sorry.my all time pb was 3:40 with about 15 contractions and now i did 3:00 no contactions nothing and on my first try. this was all very weird and i cant explain why i had such great results. all i know for sure is that i never did statics after a work out or steam bath so i am sure that thay have something to do with my unuassully good performance. does anyone have any ideas about what happend . im sure it has something to do with mu body cemistry but this about it. any ideas.???? erik!!

hi

When our body is relax we can hold our breath longer,, even we can think better, play piano,read a book or drive a car mejor

there is nothing mistic in this es una condicion natural

saludos

Daniel.

" Blessed are the peacemakers,for they shall be called sons of God"
mt 5:9

Last edited:
i think there was more to it than being relaxed i think the heat from the steam room or the long run at 180-190 hbpm had something to do with my body cemistry. i had a very strong co2 tollerance for some reason. any ideas why.

My idea: Forget about the 'why' for a second there, find a partner and check the "how mcuh". :D
(and don't forget to come back and tell us)

yes i will get a friend of mind to spot me and try statics again. i am convinced that the steam room had something to do with the my good performance. doesnt anyone have any conclusions.

yes i will get a friend of mind to spot me and try statics again. i am convinced that the steam room had something to do with the my good performance. doesnt anyone have any conclusions.

I frequently have long steam showers and in the long run have found them deterimental in the near term, due to causing vaso-dilation and lowering of blood pressure. That being said, if you try a static a couple hours or more later, then this will wear off and yes you will have a chance of lingering relaxation.

The cardio prior to the breath-hold, would tend to imply a higher state of metabolism, which is adverse to statics in the near term. So this as well would suggest a worse day for doing statics.

These are, I believe, rather consistent results for everybody, so I would say your peculiarity is not due to the immediate effects of your day. Instead I would suggest you have reached a leap in tolerance levels. The body often introduces leaps in tolerance to low O2 and high CO2. So prior to a 3:00 static, you can expect to see leaps such as this in sensation and times.

One day I could only do 2min, a few days later I suddenly did 3:30. A few days later I did 4:30. I stayed around 5:00 for a month or so, then more slowly worked my way to 6:30 over a couple months, then suddenly 7:00, and the next attempt I hit 8:07. Contractions used to come at 2:30 or so, then 3:00, then consistently 3:30 for quite some time, now fluxuating between 3:45 and 4:15.

Cheers,

Tyler

The divereflex is influensed by temperature diffrenses. so my guess is that you got a stronger diveingreflex when going from the hot steamroom to the cold water....I have experiensed somthing similar when having a long hot shower befor diving.

Ulf

i thought it had something to do with temperature. thanks for your help tyler & ulf. anyone have any other opinions

i think being in a sealed steamroom with the door closed builds co2 tolerance because the room is airtight and you are breathing your own air after that long in there. i saw a movie where a couple people just sat there and died peacefully side by side after a few hours of intense contractions and arguing about how to get out. it was a great movie whatever it was called? i know it couldn't have been dehydration because they drank water from a faucet that never quit working in there. so there you have the put off or no contractions your co2 was already elevated!

Don't want to put a downer on things and can't quite believe i read that right, but Maltaspearo are you doing statics in the pool ON YOUR OWN?

And did you do an empty lung dive to 250% of your previous PB.. ON YOUR OWN?

That's extremely uncool.

The only thing you said was diffrent from your statics when you didn't do them after workingout was that you felt contractions. My theory is that when you workout hard your body realises noradrenalin, adrenalin and endorfines that make the pain treschhold very high and you don't feel anything. Best conclution i think, the steam i donät think so maybe on a stronger dive reflex then....

I think this is the reason, and had nothing to do with the steam room, fact is that when your CO2 builds up, your body gets the signals from the blood. More CO2 in your system lowers the PH of your blood, but also blood PH is affected by the food you ate, even the day before. I've seen this changes your whole freediving experience, eating things with acid residues lowers your blood ph and confusing your body to get your contractions earlier, for example, any animal proteine leaves acid residues (milk, egg, meat), instead you should consume orange, lemmon, olives, strawberrys, etc. I eat lots of bananas the day before and before diving. In this page you can check a list of acidic and alkaline foods Alkaline Foods / Acidic Foods

It is strange, I thought Lemons and Oranges were acidic, citric acid content etc.

Hello all,

Sorry to dig this up but a similar thing has happened to me, I Improved a great deal in static and i don't know why.
Somehow my CO2 tolerance was really high (usually i feel the first contractions at 1:30-1:45) and now i only felt them at 2:45... and with high frequency.
I did not do any workout or anything to increase body temp prior to the static and i had a strange filling of dizziness and tunnel vision in the first few seconds of holding breath (after taking a deep breath, not packing) but it went away fast... somehow it feels like hyperventilation but i did not hyperventilate...
Anyone has a clue of what is going on or know any similar thread about this phenomenon?
I'm a bit concerned about the dizzy and never felt this before...

Thanks,
Eyal

Hello all,

Sorry to dig this up but a similar thing has happened to me, I Improved a great deal in static and i don't know why.
Somehow my CO2 tolerance was really high (usually i feel the first contractions at 1:30-1:45) and now i only felt them at 2:45... and with high frequency.
I did not do any workout or anything to increase body temp prior to the static and i had a strange filling of dizziness and tunnel vision in the first few seconds of holding breath (after taking a deep breath, not packing) but it went away fast... somehow it feels like hyperventilation but i did not hyperventilate...
Anyone has a clue of what is going on or know any similar thread about this phenomenon?
I'm a bit concerned about the dizzy and never felt this before...

Thanks,
Eyal

Hmm it is a bit strange indeed - it would really fit with hyperventilation but then you say you didn't so it's odd. I have the opposite - I always used to get really late contractions (or very little ones towards the end) and then I stopped training and started getting them really early.

What kind of breathing/preparation did you do before the static?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT