• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Island Hawaii- where to dive?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The west coast crab

Nov 30, 2016
Hey guys,
I'm heading to the Big Island of Hawaii in a few weeks from now, does anyone know some nice diving spots around the northern point (near Hawi)? I have been free diving for 2 years now, and am comfortable in depths up to 25-30 metres - any tips or advice would be fantastic!

Cheers! :D

Hey guys,
I'm heading to the Big Island of Hawaii in a few weeks from now, does anyone know some nice diving spots around the northern point (near Hawi)? I have been free diving for 2 years now, and am comfortable in depths up to 25-30 metres - any tips or advice would be fantastic!

Cheers! :D
This time of year you must be careful of the swells and other winter weather here in the Islands. The best (for calmness) diving is actually towards the south east. Look into diving somewhere south of Kailua Kona... I would for sure check out the local dive shops when you get here and also look at the swell/surf reports. Lately for scuba we have been diving more south of the airport because of currents. The more south you go the better the currents are. Enjoy your stay.

Reactions: The west coast crab
This time of year you must be careful of the swells and other winter weather here in the Islands. The best (for calmness) diving is actually towards the southwest. Look into diving somewhere south of Kailua Kona... I would for sure check out the local dive shops when you get here and also look at the swell/surf reports. Lately for scuba we have been diving more south of the airport because of currents. The more south you go the better the currents are. Enjoy your stay.

This time of year you must be careful of the swells and other winter weather here in the Islands. The best (for calmness) diving is actually towards the south east. Look into diving somewhere south of Kailua Kona... I would for sure check out the local dive shops when you get here and also look at the swell/surf reports. Lately for scuba we have been diving more south of the airport because of currents. The more south you go the better the currents are. Enjoy your stay.
Sorry it is too early... I said south east... it is south west.

There are some spots that I consider a "must" - one is 2 steps - you will love this as I think it's the best snorkeling and by extension amazing freediving. There is an aloha sign at 10m, and then a deeper one at 18m, and the depth picks up from there. Just North of this there is the captain cook memorial, which is across a bay from where you can enter the water (there is a park at the entry). Rent a kayak and go across to the memorial, which has a cliff, so you can dive along that, but many times you see spinner dolphins in the bay, and you can drop as deep as you desire here - the bottom is sandy and I have seen humpbacks "sleeping" on the bottom in 20+m . . .enjoy!

Paul Suppo, thanks for the heads up! I've been diving in a pretty sheltered area (Howe sound, eh) so I haven't had to deal with large scale currents and riptides in the past- I'l run by some local dive shops when I land in Kona, get the inside scoop :D

There are some spots that I consider a "must" - one is 2 steps - you will love this as I think it's the best snorkeling and by extension amazing freediving. There is an aloha sign at 10m, and then a deeper one at 18m, and the depth picks up from there. Just North of this there is the captain cook memorial, which is across a bay from where you can enter the water (there is a park at the entry). Rent a kayak and go across to the memorial, which has a cliff, so you can dive along that, but many times you see spinner dolphins in the bay, and you can drop as deep as you desire here - the bottom is sandy and I have seen humpbacks "sleeping" on the bottom in 20+m . . .enjoy!

Naisan, is 2 steps near the old Kona airport? Haha that sounds awesome, cant wait to check it out :sneaky:
Thanks man!

Two Step is Honaunau Bay. Old Airport is a different site, also good conditions but trickier entry. Two Step is very popular because it is incredibly easy entry/exit, sheltered from current, 100' viz everyday, and offers depths to 70M in very easy kicking range.

Check out Kona Freedivers for boat tours.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Just saw video freediving with dolphins in Kona. It looks amazing. Which spots are where they normally hang out, Two step? I'm not heading there soon but I could, in a few months. Any tips to find people to dive with, for rec dive, line dive, or spearing?

spinner dolphins are just north of honaunau near the captain cook memorial - can't remember the name but you drive north from the two steps beach across a lava field for 5 minutes, then there is a parking lot and a park with some kayak rentals. Rent a kayak, paddle north toward the obelisk, and about halfway jump into the water and you should see spinners. Once I saw humpbacks laying near the bottom there as well - crazy and beautiful.

Reactions: Kray
Remember it's not nice to harass the dolphins if they are sleeping (swimming in big lazy circles).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Naisan Geula
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT