• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big lobsters?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice Lobby you've got there mate, well done sir, how much did it weigh? if you've got a picture of it with todays paper you ought to put it in the FOM.
Have some rep.

Fantastic lobsters (they are 2 different ones I believe). Unfortunately you can't enter them in either the Fish of the Month (FOM) or the Hall of Fame (HOF) as you are such a new member. You need 5 posts for FOM and 10 posts for HOF. There's also a time constraint as you need to be a member foe a month.

I read your blog and that's impressive fishing (lobstering?).

You're welcome to do as you please on DB (within reason) but if you want a word of advice from an old hand (as well as an old man), then post your catches on the relavent local thread (Dorset?) rather than start a new thread. More people will view it and it may be more relavent.

Keep up the good work and keep posting.

Dave.

Hey Greg,

get it on the dorset 2010 thread mate!! Also put a little spearo tale in there, a little story about the vertual fight to the death etc.... wouldn't share location or every spearo in town will ascend upon your prime lobster spots. Shame you haven't made a few posts would have got your name in the Hof and possible fish of the month winner with that beast....

Nevermind see ya tomorrow or saturday as the Falcons coming out for a blast.

Kev

Reactions: Mr. X and foxfish
thanks for the tips guys. im always grateful for help and advice. im new to this DP and to computers so im still finding my way but i'll add it to a Dorset thread and go from there. enjoi the weekend.

Hello my brother this image has been caught fishing in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was caught by the thread in broad daylight at a depth of 45 meters and a strange thing, because they live at a depth of small and was catching fish out his Hallelujah</SPAN>
</SPAN>

Reactions: agbiv
I'm just reading a book about the history of the modern house, in the chapter on kitchens it mentions that lobsters where so numerous around the British coast in Victorian times that they were fed to prisoners and orphans or even ground-up for fertilizer.
Servants even had clauses written into their contracts restricting the number of times a week they would have to eat lobster.
It's incredible to think of a creature we regard as a prize being that common.

Regards,
Dave.

The same was true of Salmon in the scottish boarders. There was I beleive a revolt by the peasants because they were fed up of eating Salmon.

Kev

Ditto oysters, which used to be the food for the masses.

Saltwater crayfish like the one in the above photo used to be amazingly common around here. In the 1900's there are pictures of stalls piled high in our local fish market. When you think they were caught in wooden (willow) crab pots pulled by hand from small sailing boats it makes you realise what modern man has done to the sea.

Dave.

Dave.

I remember as a kid sportfishing boat coming in with barrels (trash) full of King Mackeral not iced down and tossed straight into a dumpster. Now you're only allowed to catch 2 and in a slot.

:hmmI wonder if the bit about the clause is an urban myth, as I heard a similar claim (on River Cottage I think) about salmon not being given to apprentices more than a certain number of times a week.

Forum member Omega3 was keen to learn about Wrasse sometime ago - not a prized fish in England but bass are not common that far north. Then it transpired that "lobster are like rats" (plentiful) where he dives up in Scotland. So, perhaps there is something in the story.

I also heard it claimed that oysters were once plentiful and a food for the poor (and others). I wonder about that one. Folk in Britain were quite cautious about what they ate for several generation at least, until quite recently. Fungi & shell fish are still treated by many with considerable caution. Perhaps due to pollution since the start of the industrial revolution and the consequent urbanization of Britain? That said, jellied eels & cockles are traditional seafood, and fish was once a cheap food for the masses (like beef before Britain joined the EU).

Didn't Henry VIII die from overstuffing an eel or lamprey pie? Podge you should know this one!

Didn't Henry VIII die from overstuffing an eel or lamprey pie? Podge you should know this one!

I thought he died of Syphilis, although I would say that death by pie would have been a better way to go, personally I’ve yet to meet the pie that could better me but I always live in hope.:friday:friday

Hey Podge, have you been watching that program - Man v Food ?

Next one is tomorrow @9pm ch 249.
The Program has been on for a few weeks, pretty much every night at 9pm but I think I have seen them all now.
Great fun program but is does make you realise why our USA friends tend to be a bit large around the waist!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…