• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Tuna Gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

griswold

Jul 29, 2005
Here are a few pictures of a big tuna gun that I recently finished.

It is 73" long

Shoots a 72" long 3/8" shaft

6 bands

Bottom line release AR-15 handle frame

Band holes curve down under the shaft area and come out high on the sides.

It is carbon fiber over teak with a G-10 track.

The carbon is extra thick in the muzzle area (3/16") to allow for open cut individual band holes.

Attachments

• side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 381
  • top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 319
  • handle1.jpg
    handle1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 340
  • muzzle1.jpg
    muzzle1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 365
wicked looking. What thickness bands will you use?

Gris,

I love your guns, but I don't understand why your band holes have slits in it?

to put the dynema though on the already tied band, i guess

They are there so that the owner can use pretied bands if he likes. I use them. I pretie them myself.

In this case it is a little tough to pull the band through the curved band holes. Having the bands pretied makes it easier.

It is actually one of the things I like about the carbon. It provides strength which allows for shapes and slits that you could not get away with on a wood only build.
Posted via Mobile Device

how do you get the carbon cover into all the nooks and crannies? Like into the band holes and trigger mech. slot?

I don't.

The carbon is about 5mm thick at the muzzle, but inside of that is just teak. I coat the nooks and crannies with epoxy that has been filled with graphite. The graphite makes it black and low friction.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT