• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Biggest fish speared in UK?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Anybody know what the largest fish speared in the UK is (from shore and/or boat)?

A 43kg/95lb conger:t I bet there is a story to go with that one -- I see they have credited 3 people with the catch!

[I would think the sting ray record is a typo: 27240Kg!;)]

I see the angler & monk fish records are very big too - I thought those were deep water fish.:confused:

8.7Kg/17.5lb Bass!!:)

3.6Kg/8lb for Wrasse is lower than I expected. I reckon the Lizard (or Guernsey) have contenders for that. Are those records only for BSA members?

3.121Kg/6.87lb sole -- how big was OMDs monster sole?

No recent records though...

I see the angler & monk fish records are very big too - I thought those were deep water fish.:confused:
I bopped one in Port Erin<isle of Man a couple of years ago in about 50ft. No where near that size though rofl more like about 15

The deep water angler fish is a different species. The common angler fish sometimes incorrectly called a monkfish can be found in shallow water. I caught a 25lb-er from 20 foot depth, freediving, a few years ago. Commercial scuba fishing I've had them to 50+lb and seen them landed to 100lb. The record sole caught by Rod Green beat my sole by an ounce. However, I have also caught 2 other sole over 6lb but neither bigger than Rod's.

Some of those records are very old but some of the divers are even older. Reads like a who's who from 30 years ago. Eric Aqua (Smith) is in there.

Not everyone claims records and in fact not everyone even bothers to shoot record fish. Wrasse, sting ray and elecric ray are 3 species that spring to mind as being maybe seen but not taken over record size. Not hugely interested myself but would probably claim the bass record if I should be so lucky.

Dave

I am fairly sure that in order to claim though, you have to be a member, which i just havent got round to doing... and i know i would kick myself if i shot a record fish and was unable to claim :D

Is this right guys?

Huw.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT