• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bike, Dive, Spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
Since the weather blew us off Lake Michigan this past weekend Ted and I decided to play it safe and hit a local lake. VIs is a little bit passed it's prime, but the fish were in!:)

Since things get a bit crowded on A Saturday morning we decided to bypass the traffic, and parking, problems and bike down there. We loaded up two sets of gear and and coolers of fish on ice onto my bike and Ted carried the weight belts. Everything worked out surprisingly well for the load that we were carrying and we got to bypass a lot of the madness from the framer's market- which is said to be the biggest, and best, in the US.

Once we hit the water I realized that i hadn't been in a, local, lake in a while because I was way overdressed in my 5mm and 3-finger mitts. :head Tedski got by with just a 3mm as the water was a balmy 68F all the way down to 20'. We were both toasty warm even after 3+ hours in the water. Next time out I bring the 3mm and leave a lot of extra lead at home. ;)

We normally look for crappie, but the big bluegills were in, as well as some perch that we hardly ever see. We decided to go for our limit, but it turns out that our stringers can't actually hold our legal limit so we had to settle somewhere around 40 fish in total- a good 10 shy of our combined limit. All of them where in the 10" range, which doesn't sound like much when your shooting 100 pound tunas, but was pretty respectable for around here.

Here's a few above water shots:

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Since I had my camera mounted on my gun I was able to pull a few video stills out from some of my "action" footage. ;)

The vis started out decent enough, but by the end of the afternoon all of the boat traffic had really done a number on kicking things up.:rcard It was the reduced vis that finally drove us from the water- as we still had more fish to kill. :martial

There were lots of big bass and walleye getting in our way down there, and they would have been very tasty, but are highly illegal to spear in our area.:naughty So, we just pushed them out of the way and took aim at the smaller pan fish hiding in the background.

Here's a few underwater shots:

Jon

Last edited:
looks like a blast John. These adventures are more than just diving, its the whole deal that makes 'em fun. Bet you won't forget the day out for a while. And, you'll be eating fish 'till Xmas!

TIP: don't give fish to ingrates, they always receive it, but are too squeamish to do the filleting and end up throwing it away! If I give, I fillet!

safe dives..

Nice stringer!

So now I know what Ted has been doing instead of getting the Cayman stuff up on DB. I've got it raw, but can't wait to see the dressed up version.

Connor

Last edited:
Looks like lots of fun. You guys have some nice size perch compared to what is normally shot around here.
How did you set up the camera to your Gun? Are you basically using the same mount as Gaberiel?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT