• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Blackhawk lake

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kraftyjack

Sep 18, 2009
Seriously the vis is awesome there and its chock full o fish, you guys should check it out. Also saw 2 giant walleye, seriously huge walleye. Working on getting underwater camera to show the cool stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: Whopperhead
Good lookin' crappies - very healthy. Maybe I'll have a look at that lake sometime. Because I live on the east side of Madison, it adds 20 minutes to my drive to Dodgeville. Before I was going to try that lake I needed to see some big crappies. :) You've sold me. I'll give it a try this summer. Is this lake clear year round?

This is the first year for me spearfishing in wisconsin so i dont know how long it will stay clear. What i do know is 1. its clear right now. 2. The Lakesat clarity report gives it a "almost dark blue" which is good. 3. And its spring fed and fairly cold compared to other lakes ive been in.

It has tons of weeds along the west shore and lots of rocks/gravel on east shore with it getting fairly deep quick. It has alot of bottom structures(old barn foundation, old cabin remains, old bridge...etc) Its starting to fill up with boats though...i havent had a close call yet so it seems my flag is doing its job.

The only downside is you have to pay to get in(think its $6), (year pass is $23). Since i live relatively close i got the annual pass.
http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/1239400a.pdf map
Wisconsin Lakes Trophic State Index clarity

Re: Black hawk lake

I think the one up by Hayward is called Black Oak lake. Black Hawk lake is in Iowa county by Highland- if I read the map correctly. It should be about 50 miles west of Madison.

The campground looks to be MUCH nicer than Wazee. They have hot showers and flush toilets, plus playgrounds for the kids so it should be much more family friendly. My wife said she would not go back up to Wazee for camping after the last time I dragged her along to a Palooza.

Kraftyjack, have you dove the bridge yet? I bet there could be some great video to be shot on that thing.

Jon

The bridge is on the other side of the lake, i havent got a boat so i am dreading the long haul over. This week i have resolved to explore the east shore though so i will try and find that bridge and see what sort of scary critters living under that thing. Im probably going today and maybe saturday as well.

To find it, its past dodgeville about 8 miles on HWY 18, then turn north at cobb, theres signs. Its got really nice bathrooms by the beach and the campground is real nice, nice big lots with lots of space between neighbours.

Last edited:
Went to the lake got the biggest perch ive ever seen, i dont know if this is big or just "normal", either way its the biggest ive ever seen or shot. Also my wife got her first fish, had to force her to shoot a bluegill, she was scared of shooting something illegal. After today she has a pretty firm grasp on fish-types so i suspect she'll start nailing the crappies soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 212
Sounds great! And yes, perch get bigger. :)

11-12" from Mendota

perch6102009006.jpg

14" from L Michigan

perch20090629002sized.jpg

NICE! So happy to see that there a bigger perch out there not in lake michigan. How deep and what type of environment(rocks/weeds/silt) do you see those big perch. I never see anything much bigger than 6 inches. Everytime i see a perch its in about 6-8ft of water in the weeds.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT