• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Blackout in Prince George

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

surinate

May 9, 2006
So I was attempting a 5:15 to 5:30 static in the swimming pool in Prince George BC Canada after playing a relaxed game of underwater hockey. My previous best was 5:18 and I had done a solid 5 a few weeks earlier with the same time, place and spotter. My warm ups went well but 4:45 into the max breath hold I could feel things falling apart. I haven't done max statics outside of the PFI course I've taken since I haven't found a suitable spotter untill now, so I didn't know how quickly I could actually BO. The last thing I remember is pulling my head up and taking a breath but only being half there. All of the sudden I'm on the pool deck with 3 or 4 life gaurds and my spotter staring down at me asking me if I'm o.k. When the paramedics came a few wires got crossed and someone told one of the medics that they had to give me AR for 5 minutes instead of I held my breath for 5 minutes so they took me to the hospital to check out my heart. My Sa02 was going into the 80's everytime they took me off oxygen so they said it would be better to be safe then sorry. The hospital was uneventfull except that one of the doctors was asking me freediving questions and said one of the doctors at the hospital, either Sonia or Erica Fattah had a brother who was a very good freediver and wondered if I knew him. I said I never meet Eric but I read alot of his internet posts.

My spotter said I was blacked out for 30-60 seconds all of it being above water and started breathing again by myself.

My sister, Sonia Fattah, worked at the hospital in Prince George for many years.

She now works in South Africa (Cape Town).

My spotter said I was blacked out for 30-60 seconds all of it being above water and started breathing again by myself.
Well get a real spotter next time, and you will probably wake up in the spotters arms without life guards around you and avoid a visit to the hospital unless you really have to. A spotter should realy be someone with BTT or even LMC/BO experience.

Take care, stay strong (and cautious)

Sebastian

It would be nice to have a real spotter with with experience but I don't think there's a spotter with that type of experience within a four hour drive of here. If I try it again it will be in bed, out of the water and spotlight.

Thank the Lord you're all right. "real" spotters are hard to come by. Educate the guards as to what you're doing. 99%, I'm an old LG myself, will support your efforts and really appreciate the heads up.

Thank the Lord you're all right.
I find this discussion disturbing. Of course he was all right. Freediving if done correct is not dangerous. He just fainted (I assume), if treated with BTT he will come to in 10-15 secs at the most. Fainting out of a temporarily (volontary) dip in brain O2 is not harmful (as far as we know).
"real" spotters are hard to come by. Educate the guards as to what you're doing.
And still you might end being treated like a near drowning case with CPR and ambulances and hospital.
How to handle a freediver suffering from blackout

Sebastian

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference to review Sebastian. Do you know if there is anything like that that is more slanted toward the pool? I'd like to make a copy for each of the lifeguards so they understand what's going on if one of our safety divers springs into action.

Do you know if there is anything like that that is more slanted toward the pool? I'd like to make a copy for each of the lifeguards so they understand what's going on if one of our safety divers springs into action.
Aah shorten it, slant it and there we have it :)

Sebastian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT