• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

bloody seals,how to deal with them?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

glassyfaces

Jul 16, 2013
Hi,i was spearing an area i like a lot last year and was hit a couple of times by seals who grabbed my catch off my stringer each time scaring the hell out of me,can anyone tell me if catch bags stop this as i don't want to have to use those inflatable dinghy things and i don't want a seal grabbing the bag and giving me a dragging.Cheers

Clicker training and positive reinforcement.................... sorry that's dog training :D To be honest, I have been bodyboarding with seals before and I considered my self lucky and honoured to be in their element and company. If I lost fish a couple of times a year to seals I would consider my self lucky to have had the encounter. Whenever I enter the sea I am effectively putting myself into the food chain and if a superior marine predator nicks my fish now and again its part of the game and experience..................... in my opinion and it is just that, an opinion, not a criticism. Anyway dive safe and I hope that you get the issue sorted ;)

yes i know i am in there environment i have fed seals underwater with my catch before,i just wanted to know if a mesh bag would dissuade them as i don't want to be bitten or dragged i just wondered if they would still go at the bag and if anyone had any experience of seals attacking their bag.Anyone with an answer?

Plancetta/Planche float (=board/plank float). I.e. a solid float with a fish box built in - they are essential equipment in some areas abroad to avoid attracting sharks. Search around this forum/google, there are quite a lot of images. One forum member designed a couple of beauties for commercial production, he makes them in the USA but ships them all over the world. Alternatively, plastic box lashed to a boogie board?

I had some close encounters with a seal. Frustrating but also very cool and interesting. I figure we are visiting his home & larder, so some courtesy & consideration is in order. They depend on the fish in order not to starve and to build up reserves to keep going in winter, their need is greater than ours.

I see anglers pack up when they see a seal pop up. That's what I did eventually, I thought I had distance myself from one and dived into a dark gulley below some frothing white water to hide and await bass overhead - the poor, startled seal struggled out from below as I nearly landed on top of him! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinniped72
Plancetta/Planche float (=board/plank float). I.e. a solid float with a fish box built in - they are essential equipment in some areas abroad to avoid attracting sharks. Search around this forum/google, there are quite a lot of images. One forum member designed a couple of beauties for commercial production, he makes them in the USA but ships them all over the world. Alternatively, plastic box lashed to a boogie board?

I had some interesting close encounters with a seal. Frustrating but also very cool and interesting. I figure we are visiting his home & larder, so some courtesy & consideration is in order. They depend on the fish in order not to starve and to build up reserves to keep going in winter, their need is greater than ours.

I see anglers pack up when they see a seal pop up. That's what I did eventually, I thought I had distance myself from one and dived into a dark gulley below some frothing white water to hide and await bass overhead - the poor, startled seal struggled out from below as I nearly landed on top of him! :D

Ha ha ha ha,looks like i won't be needing anything due to the new rules of one bass a day,i think i'll take the risk with my stringer and not wave my catch around for them to see.If you see a seal with two black eyes you'll know whats happened....ha ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Seals have always been a problem in the Aquaculture industry around sea cages and the like. You kidding yourself if you try to out think them. Physical barriers are the only way to deter them. I would get a 1m length of 150mm PVC storm water pipe. glue an end cap on one end and a screw cap on the other. I don't believe they could get leverage with their teeth to tear it up and you fish could be safe.

Seals have always been a problem in the Aquaculture industry around sea cages and the like. You kidding yourself if you try to out think them. Physical barriers are the only way to deter them. I would get a 1m length of 150mm PVC storm water pipe. glue an end cap on one end and a screw cap on the other. I don't believe they could get leverage with their teeth to tear it up and you fish could be safe.

That is an excellent idea ;)

Plus not only is it cold,comments like that gives us spearo's a bad name and there is enough pressure on spearo's all ready.
Now I wanted to make a thread about these things but I did not want to get shot down in flames.
Lots of folk think spearfing is easy and they would rather us buy our fish from a mass produces super market level,which is way more damaging to the environment.
Even Line fishermen hate spearo's cause they get all jealous when they see us come back with a fish and they have not ,even though line fisherman fish way more than any diver could stay in the water.And diving is tricky hard work and some times freezing work.
Now I am a hard core lure fisherman and I throw back near every fish I catch,well because I catch so many,I don't want to kill them all:).
So when I go spearing for instance,I am very selective in what I spear,If I see two love bird cod's swimming together,I let them live because they look so peaceful together and I don't wanna stuff that up.Its a respect thing.
Now if I have a bad month can't pay bills,I will kill a lot more fish so I can feed my self and loved ones around me.
Killing for the sake of killing is not on in my books.
The real pleasure is in the hunt and opportunity,not the killing,the killing sucks to be honest,but we gotta eat,we are hunters.
If you get lucky and get a heap of fish,don't go showing everyone,keep it to your self or people will get the wrong impression.
I'm sick of seeing spearo's picture with 20 dead fish,its a stupid move for the future of spearing.
We all need to keep the sport alive and healthy ,so be SMART about your action's ,it effects all of us.If we can not hunt and provide our own meat,than the governments and super markets of the world will have total control of us.
Also there is trophy hunting,Yeh its not that much of an impact on stocks but some of those fish are very old.Lets not talk about that:bag:
Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited:
You're quite right. Sorry, that was meant to be tounge in cheek, but it didn't translate very well.
That's what the smiley faces are for Doug.If you are joking or being sarcastic they will help convey what you mean.
Sorry to come across harsh,but it ruffled my feathers a little.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT