• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bloody Seals!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mabster

Aug 14, 2009
Afternoon folks,
Just in from a session, bathed, gear rinsed and now chilling to some good music.

A wee story for you..

Yesterdays session was great, 6 nice fish, saw larger fish to the back of shoals and tbh yesterday was the most fish I had ever seen.
The swell was perhaps one to 2 meters at times and due to the state my stomach was in I was sick 5 times while out there.

The swell had dropped off a it today so I took the afternoon off the catch the high tide. On arriving at the site I noticed about 14 seals in the bay and hoped they wouldn't notice me popping in off the point..

After about 5 mins in the water a grey seal about the length of me decided to show face.. I didn't think much of it as they normally bugger off after 10 mins...
This cute annoying bugger followed me for over two hours, nibbling at my fins and hiding from me!
When I'd dive down (7-10 meters) he'd disapear, only for me to spot him directly next to me once I had settled in the kelp. It was literally less than a meter from me. Gazing at me with his big eyes... he'd then follow me back up and the same would happen over and over again....

I'm blaming the seal on the distinct lack of filletable sized fish.. fish are skittish enough when I swim down yet alone when a big sleek torpedo is shooting around the place.
I managed three fish today, one of which was stolen off my smb with only a head left!!

On a plus note an old friend of mine joined me about half way through. This was the first time I had been out with another spearo. His fish were however safe on his belt stringer...

To put the final nail is the seal lined coffin on the way in I felt a 'tug tug' on my smb line (fish were ontop of buoy) then slack.. The bloody seal had bit through my smb line right at the buoy. Frantic swim back so it didn't disapear in the current and wind, I found the seal playing with the line..

Jeese there like puppies!!

Anyways...

Hope you're all well..
Suggestions on appropriate SMB line are welcome... Washing line perhaps?

Last edited:
Hah! Thats a good story mate, I guess there are going to be loads more like it! Are most of the fish you catching pollock or have you managed any cod etc! looking forward to seeing some of those pics!

Did you use that shitty orange line that comes as standard with your SMB? That should be replaced straight away as it breaks when being snagged on rocks. I use 20ms of 6mm polyethelene rope/braid that can be picked up from B+Q for like £7. It is strong, floating and is very visable which are all positives!

Hope it helps

Reactions: winky
We certainly have an abundance of them.

Just coalies and pollack so far. Oh and a doggy
Not seen anything substantial yet either.
Fished a good few locations but these havn't been known as 'fishy locations' by the secretive angline fraternity up here...
I fly fish and have had coalies up to 5 1/2 on the fly but this was in a sea loch thats connected to the se by three 1/2ft pipes.. fish go in and never come out. There's cod up to 20lbs in there aswell. Jan had an 18lb cod on the fly!

We have quite two wrecks that are accessible. Done one but didn't see anthing but as my down time is improving I shall return soon. The second certainly has fish as told by my buddy. As a shizzle lots of crabs!

Love this malarky.

Aye been using that line, snapped it a few times aswell.
Just remembered (due to your recomendation) we have a chandlers with spool upon spool of plastic line. Stiff slidy stuff that's hell to tie..
Might check it out tomorrow

Cheers

As long as they don't bite you, it must be a very cool experience to dive with a seal. Fancy of training one for team work hunting IF only there were any seals left in the upper Mediterranean...

'IF only....' ?
What happened to them Spaghetti? I absolutely love them. Sadly many up here don't.
Salmon farmers and fisherman shoot them. I think it's wrong to shoot them.
Only if their population is imeding on themselves (getting too large) or fishstocks of rarer species.. But if it is man that has had an impact on those stocks then we have no right to intervene.

I was warned by my girlfriends father about swimming too far out from their house as the people that own a salmon farm shoot the seals from over 200meters.. Here's hoping they see my SMB.

Mediterranean seals are very close to extinction. I don't know anybody who has ever seen one (and I know MANY people who go out at sea pretty often at these latitudes!)
Mediterranean Monk Seal, Monachus monachus at MarineBio.org

Cheers for the link.
That's really sad.. It is terrible that we are such a destructive species..
The number of them is shocking... <400...

Here walking from my house to the centre of town I can often see up 60 in a short space. Half way to town centre I will come across another bit where the biggest seals imaignable sunbath on the rocks..

It's lovely here..
Bit cold for some though

I have no issues with diving with seals, its when they scatter that i know im in trouble, listen carefully and you can hear the shark barking by your fins

best smb line is clear plastic tubing, can be bought from surgical supplies or aquarium shops if you crimp at both ends it floats and keeps out the way when you dive and is pretty much invisible too!

I met a seal coming out of cave on the Balearic Isle in the 80s I must admit it made me jump, as it was the last thing I was expecting to see in the med. I won’t say what isle it was but the cave was perfect with a wide entrance underwater coming up on to a rock ledge hidden from the sea, a hole in the roof gave a good area of sunlight and nice shaded areas. It would be interesting to see if they are still there but being so rare they are better left alone.

[FONT=&quot]We have monk seals here in Greece but only because the fishermen haven’t yet developed an efficient way to wipe them out. The current method of choice is placing large sewing needles in fish and hanging them outside the breeding cave (that was a cold February swim to retrieve them).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My first experience Just after moving to Greece was not a good one though. Diving 3 meters off the shore in 7 meters of water with unusually poor visability. My bandit mask fogged to the point of near blindness so I surfaced pulling my mask off in frustration. It was at that exact moment that the 2 meter heavy grey shape passed by just below the surface. It was a year later while photographing from the cliff that I first became aware we had seals. I have since spent many hours watching and photographing the seals and pups as they hunt nears the cliffs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are currently doing all we can to protect the seals here. [/FONT]

Reactions: devondave
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…