• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

blown out fin blade

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

myfish

Apr 29, 2007
my set of omer pegaso's have served me well.
really quiet, don't slide, great long distance fin, blade is extremely
resiliant etc..

however...

Went out into the SE gutter's to try some ankle weighting for my agachon
work. Tide was a fair sized 37ft and running but, not unlike what we are used
to swimming with and across.

Half way over a gutter running at around 8-9 kts i felt my left fin disengage the water.
It felt really strange.

I looked under and backwards to see one side of the foot pocket completely open from the blade. Thankfully it was my left leg as i still had a fair swim or get swept a LONG way out and on 1 fin i didn't fancy that somehow.
After what seemed like an age of 1 legged swimming i crossed the gutter.
It seems the foot pocket was fine. In fact, the rubber rail glued alongside the back (foot end) of the blade had just become completely unglued ?

I'm a kind of guy that checks all his kit before swimming/diving and i can't help but think i've just overpowered the fin in the run or the bonding is somehow at fault.
I've repaired the rail with superglue gel since and its fixed it ok. However, i'm still yet to swim with the repair.
I did consider fixing the whole blade into the pocket with marine sealant as i don't fancy this happening again.

they aren't overly powerful bladed (med pegaso) and you notice this when coming up from 15 meter dives or more. You can feel the blade buckle a little when you give them a firm kick. But, in fairness, they always get you back.

Anyone else had anything like this happen and ...
what was your long term solution that could trust ?

Cheers..

Many are having problems with the Ice fins at the moment. For me, Cressi Gara 3000's are favourite. Bomb proof, reliable and cheap! Far from the best I know but I seem to have settled with them.

All fins will have a life expectancy and maybe it's just that yours have reached theirs? I guess different materials will degrade at different speeds.

Good luck with finding a replacement

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT