• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Blue Hole Report

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Getting deeper isn't that difficult, just when becoming negative, relax, a few soft kicks, close your eyes and let yourself sink gradually gently equalising with soft pressure. You all have 3min + statics so the sinking is almost for free. At the plate swing around slowly, enjoy and relax for a short moment, and with a yank at the rope start your ascend. Swimming with smaller undulations, good streamline, and you'll up very fast with your monofin! Don't take in too much air, it takes away relaxation.

Let us know how you guys fair.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

I'm glad you guys like your Hyperfins so much- mine is on order!:friday

Jon

Reactions: salibandy
Thanks Kars! i know that is what i am supposed to do but it is really nice to hear it from somebody else, now i just wish i could have someone calmly saying that in my ear as im diving, i love the trip down i just over think everything and start wondering if i'll make it up and then i start to freak out a bit. pain in the ass because when i turn i'm still a little nervous but once i'm on the surface i realise that i am nowhere near my limits. i guess i just have to learn to trust my abilities more. but getting there none the less.And Jon the fin Rocks!!!!!!!! good choice you wont regret it.Merry Christmas

Yeah Jon, you won't regret it. Good that you're getting your fin now, as the price is going to increase due to rising material costs.

Sadly, I haven't been using mine much. Too busy with work, and enlisting to the military on the 6th! No time to spare for my fin.

Hey DivingDane,

As a fellow noob deeper diver I've got a few observations that might help. First, as I mentioned, I was into a kind of proactive equalization thing - I wanted to get my mouthfill/frenzel chops down so I spent a lot of time playing around with equalizing at the bottom. My dives were mostly 2 minutish - but still really easy.

I found breathe-ups and surface entry were really key. I tried to forget about the dive completely during the breathe-up. My surface entries are generally pretty polished because I've worked on them a lot. The monofin is really nice with those and never really needs to even come out of the water.

Having only done about 20 meters before the blue hole - I noticed the sense of pressure in the chest which starts at about that depth. This feels almost exactly like an anxiety attack and its useful to separate the psychological reaction from the physical sensation.

Next at about 33 meters or so I felt my throat close - thats another one that is useful to note.

I think I can still equalize hands-free at that depth - but it takes a very conscious effort to open the throat. I did equalize hands free very quickly on a variable dive to 30m - but after that I was always trying to do mouthfill and frenzel. (Variable is a great way to build confidence, by the way - I did two - one to about 25 meters, and one to 30 - then immediately did a no-fins dive to 26m - which was a constant ballast depth pb for me at the time. No fins was harder than the monofin - still pretty easy dives but I have almost no practice with no fins - so there was more to work on and I was not as relaxed.)
This took several dives because I had a habit of inhaling the air in my mouth. It might end up being easier for someone who has more trouble equalizing - I normally never even have to think about it.

I also ran into an almost-pain on the left side of my chest at about 34meters - I thought this was probably a rib - from an old injury - and that my back was slightly out of adjustment - but it was persistent and stopped me at that depth for two days in a row. I was being careful because Laminar had shared his horrifying squeeze story with us. I also did at least 3 or 4 dives over 32 meters each day I did a pb in that range. On the last day I did a series of frc dives to about 10 meters - this is really helpful because you get all those weird sensations - but shallow (you still must be careful about squeeze!!). After that I was able to hit 36 meters, no problem.

A huge help was having such outstanding safety divers. I felt incredibly safe. For the trip up I did exactly as Kars suggests - get the fin going - then small undulations. I like stretching my body out with arms above, but it is important not to move too quickly at depth in terms of stretching the chest. I love the sensation of good monofin form, but it may be more economical to keep the arms down - I wasn't close enough to my breath limits in any of these dives for it to be an issue.

I wish I had even more time down there - I was just really getting the depth thing together - but it's like the Yogis say 'The best meal leaves you a little hungry'...

IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:
Fondi:
great to hear your progression stories. Funny thing is I progressed about the same amount, and in the same place, so I can relate totally.

Two points regarding your sensations past 30M:
throat closing - are you referring to the difficulty of extracting air (or better "finding" air) to equalize with? How did you get past that? My take was the "grouper grunt" or reverse pack that I had practiced stretching and doing negatives. It worked, to a point, but was very tiring. Did you grasp the "mouthfill" idea. (I have not)

Chest:
Disclaimer here: I don't do yoga, but have a history in martial arts so am sort of flexible. I had a strange, very short term chest sensation during post-dive. It only lasted a couple of hours and most freedivers I was with either said "thats plasma fill" or "I have no idea, hey, whats plasma fill?" so you can see it was a mystery. It happend after 36ish M, and on most of my dives (to 42). If felt like a firm hug around my chest, almost comforting, a little heavy. Within 3 hours post dive it was gone. No blood, raspyness etc. Nothing. Plasma fill, in my little mind, is thoratic filling as organs (lungs mainly) shrink. Why would I "feel it" though?

Safe dives

Last edited:
Hi Azapa,

I did figure out the 'reverse pack' manuever you mentioned. It was interesting because I'd done a mouthfill at about 15m but suddenly had nothing in my mouth at 34m or so. I stopped my dive there and went back up because I'd thought I'd wasted too much time figuring out how to change equalization strategy. I then realized that I'd habitually inhaled my mouthfill as I got deeper so I spent the next couple of dives working on not doing that.

I also pretty much sorted out mouthfill. It takes more focus for me compared to hands-free. It seems like a completely different mechanism - though I pretty much always use Frenzel and never push from the diaphragm to equalize - working with and retaining the air in my mouth was unfamiliar. I needed to get a feel the various parts involved. My interest was in getting my technique together so it would be sustainable for even deeper dives.

When I came up from my 36m dive I had a moment where I felt something in my chest - Pete was looking at me - 'not looking concerned' as I stretched a little and moved my breath around - then I burped and it was gone :) We both got a luagh out of that. I had no sensation of heaviness or pressure or any other unusual sensation in or around my chest after any of my dives.

Other than the initial variable visit to 30 m - and the no fins dives - which took place in the first two days - I was working with Will Trubridges bandha maneuver after I learned it on the second day. I credit this and the FRC dives with really helping. Also I did quite a few dives that were between 20 and 30 meters - just taking pictures of Tarpon or other divers or messing around on the line. I was pretty gradual about it and never really set myself any goals.

Last edited:
I can also totally relate to Fondueset's experiences in the 30m+ range.

Here are some journal excerpts I dug up from winter/spring 2001:

Feb 4th: " Today I dove to 94ft on my first dive. I told Eric I was going for 85+ depending on how I felt. I had a good start but found myself away from the line. I moved in closer and at around 60-70 ft I had to stop to equalize. The visibility was excellent and the 50ft lightstick seemed to appear right away. I managed to equalize, then, but my right ear was tight. I pulled myself down the line. It wasn't pretty! Pretty soon I could see the 100 ft lightstick. My ear started to feel squeezed again - I probably forgot to equalize again. I had to stop just within reach of the marker. I tried to slide down to get there. But decided not to risk it - pressure in my ear was building..."

March 15th? "I dove to 29.5m with two suits (5mm and 3mm) and it was good except for some ear squeeze at the bottom (no air in throat or mouth).

April ? (near a competition): "Another great day, I made 31.5m and then 35.5m right afterwards. Equalizing was touch and go, I still have to work on it. "

May: "Another pb today, 36.6m. Although when I surfaced, I wasn't very excited. I didn't equalize the right way and had to turn upright twice on the way down. I also got stuck at the surface from over-packing."

"Another day, another pb. 37.7m. The dive went well, didn't turn upright until the bottom. I failed to fill my cheeks up at depth, but still managed to equalize to the bottom.

A few days later....

May 21st: 47.7m: I breathed up. I felt no nervous tension. I took my time and packed as much as I could bear. On the way down, I remembered to make full frenzel equalizations to stay ahead and equalized my mask at 50 and 75 ft down. I filled my mouth up at around 30m. I sped up after I passed the 100 ft marker. The first 40m lightstick went by. I saw all the markers lined up in a row, and my right ear started to ache and I decided to see how deep I could go with that sensation. I reached for the 45m lightstick just as my ear hurt like crazy.

On the way, I put my arms over my head and when I saw Eric come into view, I pulled with my arms to give my legs a little help. I surfaced, took some breaths and yelled, "Germany!" (like Hubert Maier used to do). "I hit the lightstick," I said. "The 40m lightstick?" Eric asked. "No, the 45m one.""

...funny how in my journal entry I do not mention the lung squeeze (mild) I had after the 10m jump! :duh

Reading my own journal is a humbling and yet somehow invigorating experience. Nice to see how little I knew then and that I managed to do well and not hurt myself. :t Sort of like we were in the wild, wild west. Lucky!

After that, I kept going until squeeze knocked me all the way back to 25m again.

That was the summer of Eric's 88m dive and the WR. Heady times!

Anyway, I would say that if I could do it all over again, I would have done FRC training for that whole summer.

Just think of the body's ability to adapt to the stuff we throw at it as long as we give it a chance:

Pete in early 2001: 30m to 50m in 1 month Full packing with lots of squeezes (almost every dive)

Pete in 2008 at Blue Hole (10 days): (after several weeks away from diving) 35m to 48m FRC (no squeezes or feeling of congestion)

The trick I think is time. Of course, the difference for me now is that I have almost three years of FRC under my belt. Now the only issues really is how well I do the mouthfill.

The thing with FRC that I think is what makes it so useful as a tool for creating depth adaptation is that it requires complete relaxation, efficiency and sensitivity to depth. Whereas with packing you just blow your way down as long as your ears can handle it.

Of course there are all the other benefits of FRC that we've been discussing - especially dive response - but I think as a diving style, it forces you to be patient. Sort of like the tai chi of freediving.

And when you get good at FRC, I would imagine that your inhale diving improves a great deal - if you need it.

Pete

Last edited:
While I had zero trouble equalizing at any depth in the Blue Hole, I got sort of obsessed with getting the mouthfill thing down. I remember sitting at about 35 meters getting frustrated because I couldn't equalize, then realizing that I was already equalized and couldn't because I had been staying at the same depth - so I went a little deeper and, sure enough, equalized :) Idiot.

You can get the idea that I spent a fair amount of time down there dinking around.

I've never tried packing. I enjoyed the feeling of the little bit of FRC I did - I think I probably went more than FRC though since I felt pretty much bottomed out at about 10m. It was cool to hang there with all the weird sensations of a dive to 3 or 4 times that depth, but just a couple kicks from the surface.

It does indeed seem an excellent way to acclimatize and become more efficient.

I think what's so interesting about this sport is that every person is so different.

Lots of factors can hold you back from going deeper or it could be only a small thing.

so does the "plasma fill" sensation exist or not??????????? ;)

I enjoyed your journal Pete, you should publish the entire thing. and Fondi, your intricacies of getting things right re EQ make me think I should try same.

happy xmas to all. I have my sunnto on and it's not coming off for 12 days, going to the beach (it's summer here).......

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT