• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

blue water hunting with pole spear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dru

Sep 19, 2002
i was wondering if it is possible to blue water spearing with a pole spear. im in bermuda and thats all that is legal here. do blue water spicies get close enough to get shot with a pole spear?
is this possible or am i just insane?
i understand what would be needed, ie. slip tip, bungy cord, float and float line ect.. but haveing all this would not make a difference if the fish dont come close enough to get shot in the first place.
i hear that flashers work well, but 6 foot is pritty close.. i know that there are some experinced blue water hunters on this board and any advise or info would be a great help.
thanks dru

oh ya he has.. gets wahoo's quite often..got like 2 spears screwed together to make a 14ft harpoon.

At the Omer Hatteras Open a year ago this past July Yoshi and Mina, the two Japanese competitors, brought these amazing carbon fiber pole spears - they had three sections and were four meters long if you used all of them. The tip was a tri-cut slip tip that was razor sharp. Coolest pole-spears I've ever seen. No idea how you'd get one though.

go to anything above 8' with 12' being the bluewater ticket...slip tip is not as important as is a sharp long tip

ya i been out with neil for some wahoo unfortunelty my schedule does not allow it as much as i would like these days. back then (5 years ago) i had lots of time on my hands lol before i started atlantic mooring maintenance ltd. I get out about once a month right now for some lobster diving, and about a rockfish a month or so, but i havent been out spearfishing sense easter so things are a little slow. In any case thanks for the info its always good to hear from you guys.

Dru

heheh i see you're still around :p

guess you didnt end up make the lobster tournament... sadly i wasnt around for it.

ya no loby tot for me was in greece on my honeymoon got back 2 days after.

At the Omer Hatteras Open a year ago this past July Yoshi and Mina, the two Japanese competitors, brought these amazing carbon fiber pole spears - they had three sections and were four meters long if you used all of them. The tip was a tri-cut slip tip that was razor sharp. Coolest pole-spears I've ever seen. No idea how you'd get one though.

Check these poles out. surely they would go well in blue water.
I want one, but the wife block is not having any of it.

They have some three peice ones to, could be what the Japanese took to hatteras.

http://www6.ocn.ne.jp/~flat-out/frame_spear.htm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT