• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

blue water hunting with pole spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dru

Sep 19, 2002
im based in bermuda and spearguns are illegal all together, i do a lot of spearing on the reef here and in the last 6 times out got 6 grouper between 40 and 100lbs, i want to break in to blue water but not sure what kinda distance you need. we get HUGE schools of YFtuna, wahoo, dolphin and blue marlin (the most common in out waters), also get the rare BFtuna in the winter. im currently gettting a spear made that would have about a 12 foot range on it. would this be enough? i currently got a henley spear with a detachable tip i was going to go straight to a nilon line attached to a float.
advice would be great on float set up..and lenght of line.. i was going to use about 100feet of yellow nylon attacted to a wire lead and to the tip.. with a boat bumper i was thinking about filling with foam (one of the cylender ones about 8 inch in diamiter) would this work?
any help would be great. thanks
dru

Last edited:
Balls! Hey dru, if you manage to pull this off, we will definitely want pictures. DeeperBlue Member Nails Yellowfin with Polespear!! There's a headline I'd dive into.

yeah..oh and i got an underwater camera to document as it goes on..even do up a short movie if needs be!!!!

good luck! i wouldnt say its impossible, before 96, they said it was impossible to land a marlin on speargun.......... look whats been acheived since then!

i hadnt tryed it before,but isnt it good to have some bait?i am talking about of taking a nice 300g fish,cutting it open tie it to a brick throw in a bout 6m deep water some where and wait??

and then big or middle fishes just want to take a bite and you slaughter them down=

i will try this in greece some where???
THANKS!
may be you tried it?

Go on spearboard.com there is a polespear guru there that does bluewater spearing just search. Oceaned is his name if I recall.
thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT