• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Blue Water Open

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mjacobs

Apr 27, 2003
Any word from the Blue Water Open in Hatteras this past weekend? Weather looked to be pretty good....
Mark

I was wondering the same thing, so I called the OMER office and the guy who answered said they should be putting something out tomorrow (Tuesday, Aug. 10).:)

HATTERAS BLUE WATER OPEN

Hi guys,

Cingene, Mark Jacobs, Juan John and everyone else interested, sorry for the delay but we're all just catching up after a breath taking weekend in Hatteras.

I believe it was the best tournament yet even considering friday was blown out. Here is a picture Bonnie Row took of her boyfriend Bill Ernst to give you an idea of the conditions. The results are a good indication too of the fish. I'll try to put up more pictures and stories as they come, the Floridians outdid themselves with an unbelievable performance and everyone who entered speared gamefish. Thanks for all of those who came or who have an interest in BWH, it was a great time, clear blue waters to all,

Mark & Eddie and the crew @ Technosport

Last edited:
RESULTS 2004 OMER HATTERAS OPEN

Nole Karcher, from the Tampa Bay area, had a repeat 1st place win from the 2002 Open. Team mate Steve Rogers from Key West was 2nd and third place honors went to GR Tarr also of the Tampa Bay area. All three had an impressive tournament, 4th and 5th but not least :D go to our MAFC (Mid Atlantic Freedivers Club) Alex Wazlak and Jason Gredell, representing as best we can!

Reactions: mjacobs
More, please

More shots, more shots! Please, more shots! I love seeng Molla-Molla. Those things are so cool and gentle. I know you have more, Mark. Can't wait to see.
Mark

did i miss something?

Is my computer just freaky (all too possible)? The only picture I see is the one with the scoreboard.

Nice picture Mark, keep on posting more, as well as stories from the fishing days!

Saludos

Roberto

It's gotta be my computer, then. I see the scoreboard pic, but not the one above it with Bill Earnst.

Seems like every single competitor shot an AJ and african pompano. The tunas, wahoo and cobia were the tie-brakers. Congrats to the top three for getting those tough fish :) .

Angelos

The sea and a few good men and 1 woman

At 62, Larry Shuldt from California gives all of us something to look forward to. This sport keeps you young eating fresh fish every day:D

You want more pictures, you'll have to bite!

Bonnie Row also took this picture while they were floating atround in the gulfstream looking for mahi-mahi and wahoo of this grey trigger (balistae family) who didn't apreciate the intrusion. (I'd be careful if I were you or we'll make a trigger fish sandwich out of you);)

Water was beautiful in the gulf stream, we saw wahoo tuna mahi-mahi and marlin throuout the weekend.

Reactions: DeepThought
Mark,
How far do you guys have to go to get into this beautiful blue water? Those are some real nice U/W pics.

Angelos

Was that a really big sun-fish?
I guess no one speared that.... :)

Really liked the little guy living in a shoe....

After Alex and before hurricane Charlie

Angelos, some years during the summer months when the Gulf-streams' eddies twirl in close to shore you need only go five miles to get to the blue water. It was the case before Hurricane Alex came through the tuesday before the tournament this week before last. The color changes are real hard here and unpredictable, sometimes your bow is in 80 degree blue GS water while the stern of the boat is in 70 degree green water. The bottom is usually always churned for several weeks following a big storm like the one we had, the top water columns generally clear up fast as the prevailing gulfstream water keep it clean. After the hurricane it cleaned up surprisingly fast but for the few days following it we had to go almost 20 miles to get blue water near the surface.

Hatteras, an a strip of sand in the southern end of the Outer Banks, the day after Hurricane Alex rolled through and they allowed vehicles back onthe island :

A Hatteras pictorial

I'm glad some of you enjoyed the pictures, if they can convey even a bit of what good Hatteras Blue Water hunting and diving is like then you get the picture (no pun intended). I've put together a bunch of pictures from the weekend in sequential order. PLease don't interpret these images as shameless Omer plugs since they were taken on the boats and with the divers who I was diving with during the tournament and therefore it may look like all the gear you see is Omer, most of them are my dive pals.

Sand & water, too much on HWY 13:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT