• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Boat advice?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ickledevil

take a breath and relax..
Apr 26, 2001
Hi all looking for advice on a boat ive been using a mates 3.5m inflatable recently and its about time i got my own, do i go the inflatable route... although i'd be looking for at least 4m guess pros are, if there is no slip i can carry it.. (and yes we do all too often) easier to store (it can be deflated) and often a bit cheaper.. although cons are it dont like pointy spears its a bit cramped and setting it all ups takes two bodies minimum and an age.. my other option is to go for a proper boat, probally the same size but i know nothing about them can anyone suggest some that will put up with the rigors of spearfishing abuse and cope with british weather/sea conditions mainly coastal with the odd chug out to the eddystone and similar.. (and yes we did that in a 3.5m inflatable)
All suggestions welcome but budget is a HUGE issue.. i.e i have none and want to spend loads!
Joe

Reactions: podge
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64567"]http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64567[/ame]

Go with HYPHALON as material of the inflatable. Hard botom = beter navigation.

welded aluminium, light, maintenance free and in the winter you turn it upside down in the garden and forget about it.... check out this really nice family business in the midlands. ive got a 14ft semi vee and would not hesitate to recomend it, if trailoring or on the roof you may try a 12ft/10ft. if you want further details email me.
http://www.seastrikeboats.co.uk/index.php

"Boats are a hole in the ocean into which you pour money"

Dave

PS Foxfish has an ali boat and has looked into plastic (not GRP but polythene) boats. If he doesn't post you could PM him.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my alluminum boat. Its an older one so it didnt cost me an arm and a leg. I have taken it up to twenty miles offshore on yelolowtail/dorado trips here in San Diego. Pretty easy to take care of so far, and economical to operate. It is real light and easy to tow. It does not like heavy wind chop,so you have to keep an eye on the weather if you are a long way out....you wont sink, just get the snot knocked out of you on the way in(disadvantage of being light) its a great boat for two guys to go out maurading in the local kelp and close islands...but is not really a Tuna chaser. That being said, a lot of guys with newer models of these do take them very far offshore. I really like my aluminum boat...but its mine:) so I tend to see past some of the weak points. Of course, you probably arent real concerned about boats in Southern California, being from the UK....but Im running out of people to show my boat off to:)

Attachments

• boat driveway.jpg
    boat driveway.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Joe for a boat of the size you are looking for you would find it hard to beat a plastic Rota moulded boat. There are plenty on the market at the moment, with models from all over the world. Take a look at these New Zealand Mac boats. http://www.marinerevolution.co.uk/mac360.htm.
Mac's are for sale in England & you can see lots of other makes at the big boat shows.

O yes I forgot, IB, I also like ally boats here is my little cat.

Attachments

• P1020570(1).JPG
    P1020570(1).JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 191
Hi,

plastic boates have some advantages, but in my opinion too many disadvantages,you mentioned some.

I would recommend you a glassfiber reinforced plastic, its very very robust, stays good in the water, not too heavy, cheap, easy to repair.

There are many used ones that you can buy cheap, but you should check the boat well , especially the mirror, the place where the outboarder is mounted.

There is a reason why most boates are grp, because its the best compromise. My boat is 420 cm, grp and I am very satisfied, you do not need a harbour, you can push the boat to the beach easily, but you should be strong .

I also think these boats are good for spearos because they offer many space for equipment. Also you need a lot of space for the fishes you catch :) , suppose so.

Greetings

Dentaxerror

:)hi
i use a honda inflatable with a 8hp engine i really like them because the boat does'nt need a trailer it just folds up into a big bag! just up gradin to a bigger fast model:) have a look on www.honda.co.uk or you buy this one off me:)

Attachments

• me rich n t boat.JPG
    me rich n t boat.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 183
Normally, you would buy acording to your budget, and with the previous experience of the conditions of were you will be diving.
I used for many years, a 4.5 meter inflatable (30hp engine), No rigid bottom, I use to love it, and it was very light and fast enough for my spearfishing adventures.
You could deflate it, and carry the engine, no big deal.
We use now the bigger and faster RIBS, they are just awesome boats,
but really xpensive.
Money would be your limiting factor.

Scottie

what size and which deck have you got on your inflatable? I was thinking of getting something similar, maybe the 3.2m air v-floor with a 10hp.

any thoughts on which is a good model to get for spearing?

i got a 8hp and 2.7 air v-floor its a very nice bit of kit easy to handle pretty quick to set up and can fit in the back of a estate car easy! im upgrading to 3.5m with aluminum floor and 20hp, wana go that little bit faster and take more people out:) . for spearin id go for one with a alumimum floor because i dont like the v bottom and want something hard and flat to stand on! i like them coz you dont need a trailer and you can launch them anywhere! the honda engine is the cherry on the cake, runs like a dream starts first time everytime even when its been in the shed for months in the cold! fuel for the a weekend cost about a fiver and you'll still have enough left in the tank for the next trip. being a four stroke aswell its very quiet so not to scare all the fish! :)

i have i 2000 zodiac futura mark 2c for sale. 12.5 ft long no holes or patches. mint condition. used only 10 times. has aluminium floor can take up to 40hp. 2seats. very fast and loght has inflatable keel and speed tubes. email me if interested minya74@aol.com. i can send pics. can ship by way of freight.

We use a Zodiac inflatable and it's fine on flat water and in a swell. It doesn't like a chop as it doesn't cut through the waves. 15 hp has served us well. Probably a good bet if you are on a budget. Otherwise take your pick from everyone elses suggestions!

yeah your right ive found the bigger the inflatable the better in the chop my 12.5 is pretty good in it when i had the 10 ft it was down right bone garing. now i have a 16 ft and its great it flexes over waves unlike anyothe boat out there. inflatables are great for freediving fast and nimble and can get to spots alot of regular boats cannot plus is there a cooler looking boat?

We have a Zodiac Mk II and a Yamaha 25 hp 2 stroke. Just got it in August so I don,t have much experence with it yet, but it will cruse at 20 knots, is very stable and has a nice aluminum deck. Hope to get on some big water next year.

i was out teignmouth the end of summer, the sea was pretty rough all the fishing boats couldnt get pass the surf and were getting a good shoeing from the waves:ko . they had to turn back and fish from the shore. i had my trusty inflatable and it was amazing crashing through the waves, i had a wicked day and to cap it off my friend and i caught 9 bass from my little boat:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT