• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Boat in camping Catalina

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Godwater

Apr 7, 2016
hey guys so i own a 23ft boat and some of my buddies want to do a boat in camping trip at Catalina..
We will be going this sunday May 8th mothers day and come back on tuesday morning!
All sites are still available to reserve so i was wondering if anyone here has done this type of camping before and if so if you can throw some tips my way? also we want to spearfish so which campsite is best that is secluded, covey, and just well rounded better? we're also taking our own kayaks :b and some rod and reels!

here is the info on the camping areas
http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/camping-boating/two-harbors-boating/boat-in-camping

Welcome to DB. Sounds like a great trip!

I do a lot of "camping" in my boat, 25 ft Seacraft, 2-5 day trips in Florida, 10-30 day trips in the Bahamas. We stay on the boat. Bahama trips are all freediving. If you are diving, this size boat is the way to go.

If you do very much of this kind of thing, you will want to customize your boat to fit your type of camping and the gear you need. Preparing food usually takes a good bit of customization. Can't give you much specific advice, know nothing about your area, except make sure your boat is in perfect shape , carry a lot of spares, and know how to use them. Murphy just loves to mess with boats offshore.

I've been going to Catalina since 1975 so my first impulse was that I should be able to help. But if I spend the night, I spend it on the boat, either on a mooring, which is the safest and most secure way, or at anchor. I don't know a thing about the camp sites.

Welcome to DB. Sounds like a great trip!

I do a lot of "camping" in my boat, 25 ft Seacraft, 2-5 day trips in Florida, 10-30 day trips in the Bahamas. We stay on the boat. Bahama trips are all freediving. If you are diving, this size boat is the way to go.

If you do very much of this kind of thing, you will want to customize your boat to fit your type of camping and the gear you need. Preparing food usually takes a good bit of customization. Can't give you much specific advice, know nothing about your area, except make sure your boat is in perfect shape , carry a lot of spares, and know how to use them. Murphy just loves to mess with boats offshore.
lol thanks ya my boat is rigged up and good for camping!

I've been going to Catalina since 1975 so my first impulse was that I should be able to help. But if I spend the night, I spend it on the boat, either on a mooring, which is the safest and most secure way, or at anchor. I don't know a thing about the camp sites.
damn so long! lol but ya how does the mooring work? is it free or do we gotta go to avalon or anything?

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/camping-boating/two-harbors-boating/mooring-information

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/camping-boating/two-harbors-boating/mooring-sites

They aren't free, but they are worth it. You don't have to worry about your anchor dragging during the night. And if you moor at Two Harbors of Avalon, there is a shoe boat that will give you a ride to shore to go to restaurants, stores, etc.

ok cool i will look into it any cool dive spots?

There are lots of spots, so its hard to know where to start. Unfortunately, the warm water last summer and the storms this winter killed and tore out all the kelp beds, and they have been replaced with a weird sargassum weed. That makes hunting white sea bass tough, but doesn't have much effect on yellowtail. In the Two Harbors area, good spots to try include Eagle Reef, Ship Rock, and Bird Rock. But familiarize yourself with the Marine Protected Areas where fishing is prohibited.

The East End of the Island near the rock quarry has a very steep drop-off and can also be good for yellowtail.

Reactions: BatRay
There are lots of spots, so its hard to know where to start. Unfortunately, the warm water last summer and the storms this winter killed and tore out all the kelp beds, and they have been replaced with a weird sargassum weed. That makes hunting white sea bass tough, but doesn't have much effect on yellowtail. In the Two Harbors area, good spots to try include Eagle Reef, Ship Rock, and Bird Rock. But familiarize yourself with the Marine Protected Areas where fishing is prohibited.

The East End of the Island near the rock quarry has a very steep drop-off and can also be good for yellowtail.

for sure thanks for the info i also bought a map of catalina with all spear spots, skill level, and fish found around the island!

Great!

BTW, if you moor at Avalon or Two Harbors and have a dingy, they have a place to tie it at the dock so you can beat the charge for the shore boat.

Great!

BTW, if you moor at Avalon or Two Harbors and have a dingy, they have a place to tie it at the dock so you can beat the charge for the shore boat.
i have my boat lol and we thinking about taking our kayaks too so does that work?? and can we get on the island like a little cove spot and chill on the island for free?

I don't see why kayaks wouldn't work, and you can land anywhere on the island.

There is another spot that I can recommend, but I hesitate without knowing your experience level. Farnsworth Bank is a sea mount off the back side of Catalina, and it can be very good for yellowtail, but you need to know what you are doing. The area shallow enough to anchor is pretty small, and the currents can be stiff. You can get your anchor hung in the rocks there too, and its a good spot for great white sharks. I saw one from the boat last summer, and I was rushed by a mako and a couple of hammerheads while in the water.

But there were lots of yellowtail there last summer starting in April. Daryl Wong visited me from Hawaii and we loaded up on fish. But honestly assess your experience level, both in boating and diving.
darylbill.JPG

I don't see why kayaks wouldn't work, and you can land anywhere on the island.

There is another spot that I can recommend, but I hesitate without knowing your experience level. Farnsworth Bank is a sea mount off the back side of Catalina, and it can be very good for yellowtail, but you need to know what you are doing. The area shallow enough to anchor is pretty small, and the currents can be stiff. You can get your anchor hung in the rocks there too, and its a good spot for great white sharks. I saw one from the boat last summer, and I was rushed by a mako and a couple of hammerheads while in the water.

But there were lots of yellowtail there last summer starting in April. Daryl Wong visited me from Hawaii and we loaded up on fish. But honestly assess your experience level, both in boating and diving.View attachment 41970
Nice yellows! Nah we aren't ready for the backside yet my buddy told me a lot of sharks back there and stuff lol we've only dived about 6 times once in Catalina and 2nd time this trip so well stick to the front side with some sheepshead, calicos, and if we're lucky some random bigger fish. I'm only off Mondays and Tuesdays so hard for me to get a lot of dIves in especially with this weather and also not having anyone to go with I'm not crazy to go alone yet lol or ever..

Hey guys sorry for the late reply.. was going through a bit of a depression state and stuff not working out to well but let's see pictures I don't have any my brother took some vids on our gopro and made some clips but we left late plans changed we got to Catalina water was beautiful but we saw no boats or charters out there.. super odd when the previous days fish counts were amazing for yellows but we went to backside for a bit rod and reel caught some calicos, king mackerel and some reds.. then came to front and found a random moor between the island and a huge rock so we would be in a calm part of water overnight we were only boat in sight all day and night. We moored around 2 and I called payed 50$ for the night and we dove all day around there and the massive rock.. we got a lot of nice size Opal eye, a huge calico, some sheepshead and we got to see some crabs and a stingray it was nice and relaxing and we were tired from the trip to the backside and just relaxed but overall for plans being changed we had a lot of fun and next time are heading back to that same spot hooking up and diving!

Nice report. How was the stingray? I see bat rays in northern california, and always wonder how they would taste.

I just got back from Catalina last week myself (first trip). Pretty amazing. Camped at Little Harbor on the backside. Backpacked in and had a kayak rental waiting for me on the beach. Not much kelp near Little Harbor or Shark Harbor, but I did manage to score my first calico bass. 15", was the only score of the day, but made a nice dinner for me and my girlfriend.

Nice report. How was the stingray? I see bat rays in northern california, and always wonder how they would taste.

I just got back from Catalina last week myself (first trip). Pretty amazing. Camped at Little Harbor on the backside. Backpacked in and had a kayak rental waiting for me on the beach. Not much kelp near Little Harbor or Shark Harbor, but I did manage to score my first calico bass. 15", was the only score of the day, but made a nice dinner for me and my girlfriend.

ahh we didnt mess with the ray lol left it alone it was too beautiful but it was really nice to see :b it was pretty big like we lowkey got scared at first but then was like fuck it aint even bad aha

oh nice that sounds dope how far of a hike to the campsite? i might do that next time and take the ferry cuz its a hassle living 80 miles from ocean and taking a 24ft boat u know? and nice catch!

ahh we didnt mess with the ray lol left it alone it was too beautiful but it was really nice to see :b it was pretty big like we lowkey got scared at first but then was like fuck it aint even bad aha

oh nice that sounds dope how far of a hike to the campsite? i might do that next time and take the ferry cuz its a hassle living 80 miles from ocean and taking a 24ft boat u know? and nice catch!

The hike was 5 miles each way, from Two Harbors to Little Harbor. 1800 ft elevation climb in sun exposed desert landscape. Great views, but bring your sun screen if you burn easy.

You would want to fork out the $8 for a gear drop, so your not hiking with dive gear. Well worth it. Good luck.

Do you know anything about bow hunting over there?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT