• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Boat insurance

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
I picked up a Bombard C3 today. It came with a 30hp and 8hp outboard (2 strokes) together with a load of extras. Sits on a trailer which is in need of some TLC but can be repaired. All cost £700 2nd hand which I think was a keen price.

I've garage it tonight.

What options do you have with boat insurance. I'm pretty sure my household insurance does not cover boats.

I guesse the loss risks involved are ;

a) theft from garage
b) theft from drive if left outside
c) theft from a morring (not that I have one, but my dad has one in penzance harbour that I could leave it to when his boat is out the water)
d) damage or loss at sea
e) 3rd party liability (probably the most important thing to be covered for).

Reactions: Mr. X
My local insurance broker that does my cars etc also can provide quotes for marine and house insurance etc. On a £45,000 value I pay about £300 PA. That covers boat against damage or even total loss and includes £3 million cover for third party. Boat can be afloat for 12 months on its harbour mooring.

Not really relevant to your case but gives you an idea. When the boat was insured as a commercial fishing boat even for use part time my insurance was nearly £3000 PA. That was just for diving and lining and didn't cover me or my gear just the boat etc.

Welcome to the world of expensive boat ownership.

Dave

Pretty much as I guessed then! , but in my years of kayaking I have opted for 3rd party insurance via the BCU. You used to get a monthly magazine and 3rd party insurance up to £1,000,000

Does anything exsisit for boaters to benifit from sensibly priced 3rd party insurance?
The cost of loss for me if the items sank or were stolen would be £700 , but in theroy I expect I couldn't replace easily for this ammount so if any insurance is available for the boat and motors at a sensible price (cheaper than the items cost me at least!) it would be useful to know. I've not a clue about boat insurance so assuming currently such policies offer old for new?

I searched for ages to find reasonably priced insurance for my 3.4m inflatable and 15hp outboard. Most insurance companies seem much more geared towards sail power or big ribs with small inflatables falling in to "no man's land". I currently use these people Boat Insurance From Cover My Boat for third party insurance.

Reactions: Pav
Great link! , thanks. Online quotes are very reasonable 3rd party and fully comp.

Just got mine insured with Navigators and general and they were the cheapest I could find.
Have a look you never know might save yourselves a few quid:)

www.navandgen.com

Reactions: Pav
Just got mine insured with Navigators and general and they were the cheapest I could find.
Have a look you never know might save yourselves a few quid:)

What boat was that for?

(Their quote was really expensive for mine)

Spiderman;697352 What boat was that for? (Their quote was really expensive for mine)[/quote said:

4.5 meter Tohatsu boat with a 40hp Tohatsu engine on a road trailer stored in a locked secure dry mooring compound with a wheel clamp on the trailer and an engine lock on the boat.

Yeah but the fact that the owner will be sat on the back of it with an AK47 during the hours of darkness might have something to do with it rofl

On that theme Old Sarge posted once that there's nothing that'll make a burglar exit your property quicker than the click/clack sound in the dark of the slide action of a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Think he's right there.

Dave

As I suspected your boat is a good bit bigger than mine and is a more common size to be seeking insurance. It's the smaller inflatables that seem to be harder to insure - I guess a lot of people don't bother.

On that theme Old Sarge posted once that there's nothing that'll make a burglar exit your property quicker than the click/clack sound in the dark of the slide action of a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Think he's right there.

Dave

When crows used to pitch into our wheat fields we always shot a couple and hung them up for the others to see. I guess that might work for burglars too :t

Read the small print on your policies! Most will not cover ANY watersports equipment!! They do seem to be a bit more helpful when you phone up to cancel. This is how I had my Yak added.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT