• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Boat Safety!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
Hiya

I took my wife to do a boat safety course today. She already has her skippers ticket, which allows her to navigate a vessel of less than 100gross ton, up to 40nm offshore, day and night. The safety course was brought out primarily for all commercial vessels here. With-in the next few years it will probably become mandatory for all recreational guys.

So, you've been a skipper or crew member for more than 20 years, what the hell can some safety instructor teach you?? WELL, PLENTY actually.

The first thing we discussed was safety equipment. Your boat is equiped with life jackets, flares, radio's, epribs, etc, etc. BUT, how many of us actually KNOW how to use them??

Life jackets. They're designed to keep a person floating face up, out of the water. Thats one reason why a wetsuit can't be substituted for a life jacket. If you fall overboard and bang your head, your life jacket will float you FACE UP allowing you to breathe. How do you put it on?? Most people will tie a neat little bow on the straps!! We were shown how to properly KNOT it!! Should your boat capsize, and you manage to get a life jacket on, any other person who doesn't have a life jacket will swim to you. Will people grabbing at you, its very easy for your knots on the life jacket to come undone. The end result was that the next time i go to sea, or when their is no fish, i'll get all my crew to properly tie up their life jackets and do a boat sinking/capsizing drill.

Flares. HOW do you use them?? Sure, there is directions on them, but what happens if your boat is sinking or has capsized or you're out at night??TRY reading the directions on them!! They're small and imagine yourself trying to do it in an emergency!! VERY easy to lose your cool and shoot the flare THROUGH the boats floor in an emergency!! LEARN to use them properly AND teach your crew how to use them properly!!

Fire-extinguishers. Where are they on your boat? Does ALL the crew members know where they are?? Are they mounted in a easily accesable location? Many boaters, myself included, would mount the fire extinguishers well away from salt water, due to corrosion. Some even pack theirs away under the seats. What will happen if a fire breaks out?? What if YOU are diving and a fire breaks out on the boat? Will your crew know WHERE the fiire extinguishers are AND how to use them!! Don't forget to service them annually!!

Radios. Does ALL your crew members KNOW how to use it? Do they know what channels to use and how to put out a MAYDAY call?

Navigation. Is all your crew capable of handling your boat? What happens if YOU are incapacitated? Will your crew be able to take you safely to land? We spearfish up to 40nm offshore. Add a bit of fog or rain and its very difficult for even us EXPERIENCED boaters to say which way land is!! TEACH EVRYONE that crews with you basic navigational skills, such as: this is a compass, this is how it works, this is the reciprical course to get us back home. Honestly know, in todays age of GPS and plotters, how many of us can navigate by compass? When last did you take out a chart and take bearings? TEACH YOUR CREW!!! Small story: when Fernando was here, we were spearing about 30nm from land. We had just fisnished, when Tommy smelt smoke. I jumped into the cabin with a fire-extinguisher. Luckily it was just a short bewteen two wire. How-ever, our plotter was dead as well as the radio and all navigational lights. We were 30nm from land, in heavy rain, with no other boats around, with no navigational equipment. Hey, i still do have a compass, but with all your stainless steel and electronic equipment close by, how accuarate IS the compass?? Luckily, we knew what wind was blowing and by keeping the 25knt nw'er 10degrees off our bow, we got home easily. Had we not kept our wits about it could've been a NIGHTMARE!!

Hyperthermia. What is it? Basic laymans terms, its when your core body temperature drops. We've all heard of it, but what happens to the body and how do you treat it? Basically, the body's temperature drops. You start to shiver. This is blood being sent to your muscles. After a while you brain realises that its not working and the core temperature is still dropping. Your brain now tells the body to with-draw the blood from your extemities (hands and feet) and concerntrate the warm blood around your upper body. So, when a person becomes hyperthermic, the last thing you want to do is to rub his hands or arms to try and keep him warm!!! As this will cuase the blood to rush to the area being rubbed, causing a loss of blood pressure and most likely rendering the person uncontious if not DEAD!!!! FIND OUT WHAT TO DO!!!! Similarly, what to do when a spearo gets the BENDS??

This is a very small part of what we did on the course. What it did do was to make us skippers realise how complacent we've become. Small things, like notify some-one reliable of where you're going and when you expect to return (i said REALIABLE, so no ex-wives or mother-in-laws!!) Also leave the local coast guards number with that person. We all know that is what we SHOULD do, but do we do it?? Teach you crew where all the safety things are on the boat. TRY and get a medical history on each crew members. WHY?? Well, you normally have a first aid kit on baord. If said crew member is suffering from a hang-over and takes a aspirin from the first aid kit, is he allergic to it? If anything happens to a crew member, is he diabetic, suffering from any heart conditions, etc. Knowing these small, but vital info. could save his life.

Things happen very quickly. It pays to be prepared. We all LOVE the sea, but nature often needs to show us how puny we are!! We have maritime accidents happening regularly. HUGE oil tankers running aground, cargo vessles capsizing, passenger ferry's sinking, etc. Soooo, just how safe are WE in our 14-40' vessels?? Make ME think!!

Regards
miles

Last edited:
A very real and necessary wake up call, Miles! Thanks for the post as it comes at a time when I'm just now gearing the boat for the kids arrival. I've printed your post to take and discuss with them before we head out.

Enjoy the karma! :cool:

What a great post Miles. We keep forgetting that anything can happen any time. I remember when I was 14 or so my diving buddy started to work with a professional lobster (freediving) fisherman as his assistant. The guy made my friend learn how to completely strip down the boat's motor and reassemble it again because when out at sea, one is completely dependent on it. I found it pretty drastic training but it made alot of sense.

Miles, My ticket allows me to drive <500gt 30miles from a safe haven. Welcome to my world..

Its not all bad but i do find little time for people in 14ft plastic fantastic trying to quote rules and scripture to me! Like the blade by the way i ride a T595.

Bryn.:)

good one miles, its amazing how many people out there cannot issue a mayday call, several people ive talked to have flat out told me, thats what dsc was invented for !

life jackets with rope? hmn... my personal life jacket, which i take with me when going out on anyones boat, has those clips, and i keep it stored in my sea bag, which is a bag that, if the boat was ever in trouble, i can throw overboard and grab onto fast, dunno where the bag came from, but it can hold the life jacket, a gallon of water, 4 handheld flares in a waterproof pvc container, and also a lil first aid kit with some off the shelf painkillers, eyedrops, and a piece of latex tubing to use as a tourniquet (sp) also i have a hat in that bag. the thing i really like about the bag is that it doesnt have zippers, just a drawstring, and with the lifejacket in, not much chance of it going under unless it was drawn under. i used to keep a flaregun in that bag, but some stupid politician here decided that flareguns could fire 12 guage shotgun shells (nevermind they have a plastic barrel thats just long enough for the flare) and made them illegal for anyone without a firearms license.

its a bit weird to get the lifejacket out of the bag when in the water, i remidied that by packing it in last, procedure is take out jacket, close bag, stick my foot through the loop at the top of the bag, put on the lifejacket, then pull the bag on over my shoulders with the straps, but on my front instead of back. something i hope i never have to do.. only item i still want to add to the bag is a EPIRB, not every boat here uses one, but i definately will have one on my own boat when i get it, and i reccomend everyone get one.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT