• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Boosting my woody's performance

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Spearing Port A

Jun 13, 2006
I live in Texas and bought a jbl sawed-off woody magnum. it works great when diving around the jetties shooting snapper and sheepshead but just doesnt have the power to take the cobia, barracuda, and jack fish at the rigs off shore. i went and bought new rubbers for it before i looked much into it. the rubbers are thicker and therefore stronger than the stock rubbers that came with the gun. after talking to some experienced "old timers" they pretty much told me that the gun sucks for shooting bigger fish. some younger friends of mine i and i myself dont believe this to be true.

new bands would make the gun much stronger but i am afraid that the trigger mechanism will screw up because the stock one is not made for the increase power the bands put into the gun. does anybody know where i could find help to get an after market trigger with the carbide tips that could handle the strain. i really like the gun and dont want to have to hang it up on the wall this soon.:naughty

Thanks
Port A rofl

I keep getting spam emails telling you how to get more performance for your WOODY
On a more serious note,
You won't need carbide tips in a trigger mate and the JBL trigger should handle 2 5/8" rubbers .
I am not familar with the Sawed off woody,how long is the barrel from the front to the trigger ? if you want to be serious about getting fish in clear water with shots more than about 6 feet from the end of the spear the barrel should be atleast 40" long and go for a spear with an Hawiaiian style flopper for more speed and penetration than a screw on tip.
If the barrel is shorter than this your better off building another gun and keep this one for dirty water or caves.
Peter

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…