• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bottom Time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jager_SA

Cubicle Jockey
Jan 22, 2007
Hi everyone, I just found your site whilst 'working' and it looks great, the topics and discussions are really informative as well. And big respect to all the South African's on here- aangenaame kennis!

I've recently started hunting when a friend of mine introduced me to spearfishing. I went out and spent my first paycheck on as much kit as I could and borrowed a gun from Aiden. We've operating mainly in the Northern Coast of Kwa-Zulu-Natal around many of the neglected beaches ( Westbrook, Ballito, Casuarina etc ) in the hope of discovering a great spot that is not swamped with overseas visitors ( We have had a pretty embarrasing experience with a very pale Norwegian swimming right into the line of fire ).

I was hoping to get some advice on how to increase my bottom time, as I seem to be spending under a minute actually poised. Somehow it always seems as you're dying for another breath, a nice Kingy comes past :head
I understand there are a number of 'toys' one can buy to increase VO2 max and lung capacity- but being a student I cannot afford these and am looking for some 'old school' hard work cures for my weak lungs.

We have been dealing pretty much exclusively in the 'surf zone' deepthinker mentioned - not like out by the duudes, but just behind the rocks- and struggle with the constant wave action (which on North Coast is pretty considerable). I am hoping a greater bottom time will enable me to avoid constantly swimming to maintain position and being to tired to dive.

Thanks so much, and please excuse any poor grammar or spelling! :t

Hi jager, welcome to DB! You should get loads of help here, we have some very qualified spearos on board (I am not one of them rofl)

Say hi to Durbs-by-the-sea - I went to school in Amanzimtoti for a few years :)

Jeesh!! I think Stephan must start to get concerned...seems like there is a sudden 'underground' push from South Africans to launch a hostile takeover of Deeper Blue!! :D

Welcome Jager!!

Jeff

Youll read on most posts regarding this topic that the best excersise for diving is diving. You can also search the site for apnea walks and 02 and c02 tables. What I also find works well especially for spearfishing is underwater hockey, if you have a club close by it mite be a good idea to join, otherwise get a few mates together and go play in a pool somewhere, ideal number is 12, but weve had games with 6 guys and its still fun.

Jeesh!! I think Stephan must start to get concerned...seems like there is a sudden 'underground' push from South Africans to launch a hostile takeover of Deeper Blue!! :D

Welcome Jager!!

Jeff

yeah seems to be a sudden splurge... you can almost smell the boerewors roasting :D

Welcome Jager, good lord not another mad SA who dives in sharky waters telling us tails of nuttyness. Bring it on mate!

Jager,

The best, fastest and easiest method to increase your bottom time is also the simplest, and it is also the least known and least practiced.

The rule is simple:
- The longer that you are completely motionless before the dive, the longer the dive will be

I recommend at least 2 minutes of complete motionlessness. Motionlessness means:
- No swimming movements of any kind, not even with one arm
- No kicking
- No hard breathing patterns or extreme inhales or exhales
- All muscles must be dead limp, including your face, neck and back
- No shivering
- No struggling to stay above the surface
- No clearing your snorkel in any way
- No bringing your head up above the water to look around

Assuming you are not recovering from exertion, you can benefit from up to 8 minutes of motionlessness. After 8 minutes you don't gain much. However, you must be very careful with this method. DO NOT breathe deeply during this period. If you breathe deeply for 8 minutes you will be way too hypocapnic and could suffer a blackout. If you use this method, you should be okay taking just a couple of deep breaths before you go down.

seems like the SA boys are being challenged by the sheer number of aussies joining.... Fear not a mate of mine will join soon :D

Mwahaha rofl
SOUTH AFRICAN's RULE!

Aussie's might pip us in Rugby, Cricket, Soceer, Athletics and just about every other sport IMAGINABLE. But we blame the government and administration! :head

Unluckily for all you Australasian fellows, Aquatics is not high on Sport's Administrations S$!t list, so we DOMINATE! :t

ok ok, there ARE so very good aussie spearo's. :martial

...I understand there are a number of 'toys' one can buy to increase VO2 max and lung capacity- but being a student I cannot afford these and am looking for some 'old school' hard work cures for my weak lungs....
Loosing body weight helps V02 max: What is V02 Max?
and exercising a lot: VO2 Max
I don't think you need any special machines -- a bicycle might help though;). I had v. high V02 max several years ago, but I was doing a lot of training at the time (after a decade of climbing training). While doing 6 months of particularly intense training which was measured start & end (triathlon training & racing, weight training course, lap swimming class), V02 max started v. high and it improved -- probably due to body fat loss (didn't loose any weight) and all that aerobic exercise. I have no idea if it would have helped with bottom time though - I didn't dive at the time.

Caveat: I doubt if my V02 max is much good now, I train much less, weigh significantly more & as you will see in the formula at the above link, age is a factor too.:(:D

Last edited:
Loosing body weight helps V02 max: What is V02 Max?
and exercising a lot: VO2 Max

I have never heard body weight has anything with V02 max. Cross country skiing has the highest VO2 maxes and they can be rather big. I think you may of been told that V02 max increases with the loss of weight but that probally because when people start doing aerobic work they lose weight.

I am hoping a greater bottom time will enable me to avoid constantly swimming to maintain position and being to tired to dive.
Thanks so much, and please excuse any poor grammar or spelling! :t
Do not worry, we can understand what you are writing about however if you feel shy for misspellings get your content edited by thetermpapers writers.

I have never heard body weight has anything with V02 max. Cross country skiing has the highest VO2 maxes and they can be rather big. I think you may of been told that V02 max increases with the loss of weight but that probally because when people start doing aerobic work they lose weight.
As I said, I didn't lose weight, I lost fat. My weight didn't change at all. The college instructor concerned measured a whole set of parameters, including various measures of flexibility, strength, aerobic and anaerobic fitness. VO2max, bodyweight and bodyfat among many other parameters were measured before and after the fitness course.

If you look at the wiki page concerned, some calculations that estimate v02 max use body weight, Rockport for example. Perhaps because weight can be an indicator of fat, albeit an imperfect one (e.g. bodybuilder - high body weight, low body fat)

Although I was exceptionally fit at the time of the above, it occurs to me that a more important factor might be lung capacity. At age 13, we measured our lung capacities in a biology class, apparently mine was unusually high, significantly higher than the teacher's, who was bigger than me. I was not particularly fit or unfit at the time. Just a thought.

To improve down times, getting your lead ballast optimized to reduce unnecessary effort and learning to relax and move smoothly and efficiently might be more important than vo2max, etc. though. Diving regularly helps.

Last edited:
Start doing tabels.
On your phone download a app called Freediving trainer (android)
Take the max test and let the app set up your tabel.
Start from there.

you should do more C02 tabel than 02 tabels, to train you body to getting used to c02 building up in your body.
Do the 2-3 times a week for a month, and see if it helps.

Reactions: madmaxoh
Jager,

The best, fastest and easiest method to increase your bottom time is also the simplest, and it is also the least known and least practiced.

The rule is simple:
- The longer that you are completely motionless before the dive, the longer the dive will be

I recommend at least 2 minutes of complete motionlessness. Motionlessness means:
- No swimming movements of any kind, not even with one arm
- No kicking
- No hard breathing patterns or extreme inhales or exhales
- All muscles must be dead limp, including your face, neck and back
- No shivering
- No struggling to stay above the surface
- No clearing your snorkel in any way
- No bringing your head up above the water to look around

Assuming you are not recovering from exertion, you can benefit from up to 8 minutes of motionlessness. After 8 minutes you don't gain much. However, you must be very careful with this method. DO NOT breathe deeply during this period. If you breathe deeply for 8 minutes you will be way too hypocapnic and could suffer a blackout. If you use this method, you should be okay taking just a couple of deep breaths before you go down.
Nice clean tip!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT