• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bottom times how to improve ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

madasfook

Aug 6, 2005
went out last night and had quite a good early evening dive and got 4 nice size pollock and a bass ,but it was hard work as the viz was so poor and the tide was fast , but my problem is my bottom times they are very poor as i am only getting 45seconds to 1 min at 7 mt not very good acording to some i have seen on this site ,i saw one 2 mins at 20mt !!!! is this man a fish ? i have had my breath holding up to 3 mins in a pool but that was a wile ago .
what i am finding is i get to the bottom and lie still and all the fish come for a look but by the time the bigger fish come in for a look ie the bass ,my lungs are at bursting point. I have shot a couple of bass :p but it was pure fluke and the bass looking the other way :duh
Oh and i have camouflaged my gun and put yellow tape (one strip) on the end the pollock swim right up to it and the bass 'when i can get close to them are very interested in it ( a tip from Dave Ocallihan Exe club)

Improve your dry static times, and find opportunities to monitor your progress at depth statics with some sort of safety assistance. For the longest time, if I dove to any depth weather raltively shallow or really pushing the depth, my total dive times would always come out to about the same 1:10. Didn't matter how it felt on the bottom, whether I felt like I was really pushing it or was coming up because I was having no problems and absolutley positive I had broken 2:00. It always turned out within a few seconds of the same 1:10. I think that most of us have this sort of subconcious timer built in, especially those who occasionally dive alone. In order to learn what you are capable of, tou should start practicing depth statics at any arbitrary yet comfortable depth with some safety support. I immidiately got my bottom times up to almost 3:00 at 10m. It just took feeling comfortable that someone would take care of me if I blacked out.

If you are fighting current in bad vis, a minute isn't bad at all. Try to find a way to expend less energy fighting the current. Maybe a small anchor and a line. Jason is right though, static practice to improve co2 tolerance and comfort level at depth will help.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT