• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Braided (rope) shooting line?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hyeparis

Oct 31, 2007
Hi, guys. Let me apologize in advance if my explanations are confusing - I am not a native speaker.
I am looking for braided (rope) shooting line to rig those of my spearguns, on which the line release mechanism is located under the barrel between the handle and the reel in what makes it difficult to use this release mechanism.
So far I have been using monofilament (plastic) shooting lines, but they sometimes get stuck in those 'clamps' (see it marked with oval on the attached photo) that you can find on the sides of the most of reels and onto which I would use them for one extra loop before connecting the line to the bungee and then to the Beuchat cord shooting line.
That Beuchat line is unfortunately too thin and too smooth for the clamps and regularly slips from these clamps and gets loose on one gun where I got rid of the monofilament line and, just use the Beuchat shooting line only. This explains why I am looking some thicker braided (rope) shooting line, which would be strong, and which if doubled, would stay inside the clamps, but would get released when the trigger is pulled.
I had that kind of line I bought back in Portugal, but eventually ran out of it.

Attachments

• Reel.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 185
Hiya hyeparis,

If I understand your description correctly you use the clamps to hold the second end loop of a double wrapped shooting line?
If this is the case why don't you skip the clamps and add the last loop to the line release mechanism - the same as the first wrap?

I personally don't like braided line as shooting line as I find it tangles too easily.

Either way, have look at Spectra or Dyneema cord. If your local dive store do not stock these, it's available to buy online: http://www.neptonicsystems.com

Last edited:
Reactions: hyeparis
Hey check out Ulusub, Jon now has a new type of reel line that is dyneema over mono.
Cheers, Kerry.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…