• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Brandt's Cormorant

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Craig Baumann

Jan 30, 2007
I stopped by the river yesterday morning and saw a Brandt's Cormorant floating peacefully in a small lagoon. I didn't think he saw me, but apparently he did. He took a breath and disappeared from the surface. I counted the seconds before he re-surfaced and it was close to a minute before I saw him again. It was an incredible distance he swam for a medium sized bird and when he ended this free dive he had traveled under waer about 50 yards. I was quite impressed!

Cormorant is not a solitary bird - it lives in groups, flies and hunts with its fellow birds, and the three species that live in the Pacific Northwest are, Pelagic Cormorant, the Double-crested Cormorant, and the Brandt's Cormorant. They are among a small group of birds that live on land, travel through the air and swim for long distances, under the surface of the water.

I have often seen Cormorant under the water near the bottom hunting for fish and other food. while I was scuba diving or freediving,

[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]Tschüß! diver gent
Sea Star Scuba

DAN - CORAL - AAUS - PADI - REEF - USAA
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I've got a fair amount of u/w footage of those bad boys. Sometimes they seem to think I'm one of them - I've had them swimming 12 inches from my head!

One of my dive buddies returned an email I sent him regarding Cormorants, and wrote the following:

"I have seen them at a depth of 60ft. I was shocked! I remember seeing it off in the distance. I was diving Maury Island Barges (near Tacoma, Washington, USA.) I thought at first it was a seal, because I had seen one there the week before. I turned to my buddy to point it out, turned back and I could clearly see it was a cormorant, flying through the water. I looked at my computer, and I was at 60 feet. I think it could have gone deeper, easily. … " DA

diver_gent

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT