• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

BRBRBRRBRBR England is cold need wet sute

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ChrisTheMedic

Nov 1, 2010
Im soon to be living in Winchester and looking at spearfishing in Brighton/Bornmouth. What mm wet sute is the best. I have only been spearfishing in Cyprus for 2 years.

Any int would be greatfuly recieved

I had 7.5mm in mind

Welcome to Deeper Blue Chris.
A 7.5mm suit, mate you’re diving in England not in the Arctic, plus you’ll need so much weight it’ll hurt just to walk down to the beach, and come the summer you’ll steam in your own suit!
Most uk spearo’s including me use a 5mm two piece farmer john style with integrated hood, 5mm neoprene socks and a decent pair of gloves.
Hope this helps and enjoy the forums.

I second the above. I dive of the south coast in a 5mm Cressi suit and spend 5-6 hours in the water easily without feeling cold.

We have a saying in England.

Man up rofl

When you've got Southerners telling you you're nesh its time to get out your pipe and slippers and watch it on telly hahaha

3mm, high waist pants for deep diving, 4 degrees at the bottom, no gloves and get on with it.

Hope that helps
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: podge

If it’s going to be that warm just as well leave it down to just the Speedo’s:t, or if you’re double wellard then at the end of the day your skin is waterproof.roflroflrofl

I tried speedos but there was two problems.

One, they are baggy at the back so lots of water flushing

Two, from a distance when my belly hangs over it looks like I'm naked so I got comlaints

And D) (?) I needed to keep a warm spoon to hand.

There was a 'virtual freedive' at the dive show aimed at Southerners. We could make you a virtual spearing trip where you sit watching a video holding your breath in your wetsuit and someone can pass you fish and chips after you have finished haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Mr. X
We could make you a virtual spearing trip where you sit watching a video holding your breath in your wetsuit and someone can pass you fish and chips after you have finished haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Only if there's beer involvedrofl:fridayrofl:friday

7mm jacket with 5mm trousers if you dont have much "natural" insulation, or 5mm all round if you do. : )

We have a saying in England.

Man up rofl

3mm, high waist pants for deep diving, 4 degrees at the bottom, no gloves and get on with it.
3mm? If you were from Yorkshire, you'd probably consider even Speedos excessively warm & unmanly.

I use a 5mm spearo suit (i.e. high waist band rather than farmer-john/salopette style) - and I've used it every month of the year except Feb. & March (which tend to have awful weather & visibility). However, it seems folk used to warmer climes often feel the cold more.

I believe you can sometimes get 5.5/6/6.5/7mm suits too.

While you might assume a thicker suit (e.g. 7.5mm) will make your life more comfortable/easier, I would make 2 counterpoints:
1. it is possible to overheat. When I first got my wetsuit (i.e. maximum "loft") and used it for the first time in November it was incredibly warm, I was baking.
2. The thicker the neoprene, the more lead you will need to carry. I carry 22lb and that can be quite a burden when carrying all your gear & fish up hill.
The British south coast sea temperatures are allegedly moderated/warmed by "the Gulf Stream" - warmer water from the Gulf of Mexico. Although that is sometimes hard to believe .

So, if you think you might need a bit more insulation than me, Podge's suggestion for long-John style pants would give you an additional (5mm?) layer of insulation around your torso/"core". Another option sometimes mentioned for those using spearo-style high-waist pants is optionally adding a 2/3mm neoprene vest underneath - that was my thinking when I bought my suit but I never found the need to buy a vest in the end.

Last edited:
Don't ya'll get shocked if the e-cord isn't sealed correctly? :headAnd a speedo and any one of our physiques could cause global warming--scaring the piss out of everyone.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…