• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

breath hold training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
as a new diver should i be working on o2 or co2 training?

I know it seems like a "duh" sort of answer, however you should work on both.

O2 is more or less training you on holding your breath until you get uncomfortable, where as CO2 is training you to get past or push the discomfort part later on during your breath hold.

Don't think of it as "how much are I can hold for as long as I can hold it". Think of it more as "what gases are doing what, when AND how is my body going to react".

When you get to the point that CO2 levels start to rise, that is about the time that the Oxygen in you red blood cells can be released. That is how you extend your breath hold. So knowing how to get to and past that point is what you need to aim for.

Comfort is pretty much the goal. If you get tense, you won't hold well. If you get too uncomfortable to "focus" or "let go" (whatever helps you push through), you won't hold well.

So getting familiar and used to both O2 and CO2 training is how you'll get there.

Good luck. Hope that helped,
-Will

I know it seems like a "duh" sort of answer, however you should work on both.

O2 is more or less training you on holding your breath until you get uncomfortable, where as CO2 is training you to get past or push the discomfort part later on during your breath hold.

Don't think of it as "how much are I can hold for as long as I can hold it". Think of it more as "what gases are doing what, when AND how is my body going to react".

When you get to the point that CO2 levels start to rise, that is about the time that the Oxygen in you red blood cells can be released. That is how you extend your breath hold. So knowing how to get to and past that point is what you need to aim for.

Comfort is pretty much the goal. If you get tense, you won't hold well. If you get too uncomfortable to "focus" or "let go" (whatever helps you push through), you won't hold well.

So getting familiar and used to both O2 and CO2 training is how you'll get there.

Good luck. Hope that helped,
-Will

What is an attainable length of time most people can train to hold their breath for underwater? And for those people I see that can hold their breath for many minutes, will they be able to do that comfortably after proper training or are they just pushing past the pain? Not sure what I can aim for as a reference.

Everyone is different, so I can't really give you a number. Some people can hold it for 3 mins, some can hold it for ten.

It's just a matter of how much you want to practice and endure.

Here is a video of Mike Boyd, a YouTuber, that trained himself and increased his breath hold to 4 mins.

He does give advices on what he found works. What works for him may not work for the next guy. But I figure it doesn't hurt to experiment.

-Will

I'm one of those 20sec and dying guys.

For spearfishing, apnea walks or Runs, helps me quiet alot. With a couple of months apnea walks training, i went from 20sec and dying, to 50sec (at 5.5meter) and still being comfortably when i hit the surface.

Apnea walks can either be done by holding your breath and walking up some stairs, or what I do right now, is run 100meter with 80% effort, do 1 hook breath and then hold your breath and start walking as long as your can, when you can't hold it anymore, you do a hook breath and start runing again.
I do it 10 times.

Hope it makes sense :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT