• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Breathholding

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

xsaul

Jan 13, 2004
Hello, Gang,

I just joined. Now checking to see if I've got it right. (I'm not that computer savvy--Ha!)
I was wondering if the stories I've heard about breathholding becoming an Olympic sport in 2004 are true.
Sam will want to know. She's a character in my novel.
As for me--I just wanna know what an eight minute hold feels like!
Water Rat--at 6:40--and she cheats. :yack

Xsaul,
I saw on your profile that your a Christian novelist. You got any published stuff we can take a gander at? I'm always looking for good reading material.
I can't help you with either of your questions.....I have no idea what an eight minute breath hold feels like. Two minutes is hard enough for me right now.:head
Just wanted to send a little encouragement your way and say hi.
God bless,
Stitch
P.S. welcome to db!

This is all i've seen on freediving becoming an Olympic sport in 2004:

"In 2004, the BIOS OPEN will also set the stage for the first Olympic demonstration of freediving as a sport, working in collaboration with freediving’s governing authority AIDA, (ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL for the DEVELOPMENT of APNEA)"

Your Novel sounds interesting, good luck with it. Sam may find a
gold medal winning breathhold a real Lung full. :)

Last edited:
Hi Stitch, and Dolphin,

I don't have any published novels that are all mine yet--I have one story, "Schizophrenia: The Adventure" in the Anthology, "The Gift of Depression" (Inspire Hope Publishing--copyright--2001).
It tells how I got into breathholding in the first place.
My friend "The Georgia Peach" on Kingdom Writers says people who do freediving are crazy anyways.
I see a shrink now--and my counselor says this here forum is a healthy way to pursue that interest.
The coolest thing about my story in the book?? I got to write about my Born-Again experience--which, btw, took place on Friday the 13th--and it wasn't even a CHRISTIAN publication!
I'm still working on getting my own--and all my own--novels published.
Dolphin--THANK YOU--this is what I hoped for!
Maybe Sam will pick up a medal--I gotta find out what the womens' world record is--last time I heard it was 6:02. That was a while ago.
I do my long holds out of water--my best underwater is probably all of 90 seconds--Barf, Barf!
Thanks guys, for the welcome.
Water Rat

XSAUL - you mailed me privately to ask for info. I would have just referred you here and you seem to have found it yourself - so best of luck!

Sam

(nowhere near 6.40 and wishing to disassociate myself slightly with my lung busting namesake!)

Thanks to Sam & world record holders

HI Sam, and any other world record holders,

I appreciate your response--I am indebted. :D
The chapter with "Sam" in it is coming up fast--and I'm considering having someone in Sam's LungBustersClub be the one with the 6:40--something for the rest of the gang to shoot for.
It is presently September 2002 in the story--and the official women's world record would still be 6:02--but there are UNOFFICIAL RECORDS--and "6:40" has class. :cool:
BTW--Samantha in story will fall for a guy named Kip Jones, another LBC, and they will eventually marry and of course--have a FREEDIVING honeymoon. :)
Water Rat
BTW--I hit 3+ the other night in my memory recharging exercises.
;)

Some French girl was recorded as holding a 6'47" 'record' way back in 1999. Not sure who verified the 'record' though.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

efattah,

Oh, goody. :) The 6:40 was done on December 12, 1976. I love keepin' track of this stuff! AND a 1999 done 6:47 would REALLY turn SAM'S crank.
Thanks for GREAT story fodder!
Water Rat

Hi, Just some info on that 6:48

http://www.apneateam.it/Apnea Statica.htm

That is the only site that lists:
"1997 30 Dicembre Chaty Monges Francia La Reunion 6' 48'' **
1998 8 Gennaio Chaty Monges Francia La Reunion 5' 16''
1998 8 Gennaio Corinne Delomenede Francia La Reunion 5' 23'' "
etc etc.

I think it's more likey a typo.

Read here:
http://www.freedive.nu/aida/Lists/aida_cron_stat.html

"5'03" Cathie Monges FRA 971230 La Reunion **
5'16" Cathie Monges FRA 980108 La Reunion
5'23" Corinne Delomenede FRA 980512 La Reunion
5'41" Corinne Delomenede FRA 980512 La Reunion"
etc etc

Which follows a more acturate path I guess u could say.

Dear Dolphin,

PLEEEEAASE tell me I may print this info out! My bipolar is driving me nuts! My allergies are helping drive me nuttier!! And I have med changes in BOTH categories--!!!
Another 3 minutes at 3:00AM--gotta do SOMETHING when I can't sleep--and then, it was tears and nightmares. After that, I slept like a rock--till the phone blasted me awake at 9:27AM.
Thanks for help, and don't be discouraged by a 3-minute hold--they're the path to the SIXES. :)
Water Rat

Reply to OWN message,

Feeling better. :)
Fell asleep too fast last night to do any breathholding--SO, I did it IN MY SLEEP--I do that, sometimes. Last night, I counted--in my DREAM. (I usually don't).
Got a 4:33--Dunno how accurate--but I DO know I have awakened holding my breath--after a dream about it. So, I'm sure the HOLDING was REAL--if not the time. (I noticed I cheated, a little--breathed a little during it--but Hey, a Lady can't be held accountable for what her lungs do in her sleep!
Anyways--THIS'LL make good STORY fodder. :)
Water Rat

AMR,

LOL! I WAS asleep! And what is APNEA?? Another friend thinks it's NOCTURAL SEIZURES. I have epilepsy.
Is this a problem???
Water Rat

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT