• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Breathing techniques question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I coudn't buy freediving neck-weights, so i bought 2x 2kg sandbags and attached them both to each other and around my neck
it's not good for streamlined DNF, but it helps me stay underwater on my full lung capacity a little

It’s super easy building a neck weight. I bicycle tube, some metal pellets, a couple of plastic clips, some cable ties and duct tape and you’re good to go!

This is in Swedish, but I think you’ll get it anyways from the pics. If you wonder about something, just let me know and I’ll do my best to translate. :)
https://juniordykarna.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/bygga-nackvikt.pdf

You guys should really check some vids with the proper DNF swimming technique. It is possible to do 25m on one push kick, one leg stroke and one arm stroke. I do it in 1,5 and I am far from professional.
What I’m getting at is that the more you use the glide the less o2 you will consume. Try how far you can glide till you really stop just by push kicking. You’ll see it is much further than you could imagine.

With good technique and a neck weight to keep you neutral and relaxed you can also do the same... or close to it! Just give it a go to push yourself off and just glide till you stop. You’ll be surprised how far you get. Neck weight necessary though, or you’ll just float.

To get the most out of your strokes you should really study the proper technique. Neither the arm or leg stroke are like regular swimming strokes.

Arms.
You aim is to get as long/efficient a arm stroke as possible to move as much water as possible. That’s why you see the people in the vids doing S-shaped strokes.
So. Armstroke -> glide and keep the arms relaxed along the side of your body to reduce drag. I bring the arms back up the same time I bring the legs up for the leg stroke. Bring the arms up close to your body, as streamlined as possible to the forward position.

Legs.
Same here; your aim is to get as long/efficient a leg stroke as possible to move as much water as possible, then gliiiiiiiiiiide. :) Found this vid in another thread. It’s a pretty good leg kick to practice.

When you practice this way it’s almost impossible not to find the relaxation! [emoji6]

Reactions: Richard Bender
About the neck weight, i don't think random metal scraps will do it, they'll rust, i'm planning to get lead pellets, like those sold for scuba, i saw them last time i went to a diving shop last summer, (here i can't order them online)
I'm planning to do my 1st +10meter CWT/CNF this summer, and mb even go as deep as 20meters depending on circumstances.
So, i'll be buying a buoy, diving rope, lanyard, and float line to exercice safely, it's an investment after all.

About DNF, Subsub is totaly right, before i bought my 1st 0.5mm neorprene wetsuit, i was testing my strealine by doing wallpushs and counting how many meters i can glide; with boxers it was just 5meters, with cycling-like shorts, it was 6~7meters, adding a tight shirt and swimming cap, makes it to 8meters
But a wetsuit made all of this jump to a stagering 11meters., and ofc working on proper shape and

About the neck weight, i don't think random metal scraps will do it, they'll rust, i'm planning to get lead pellets, like those sold for scuba, i saw them last time i went to a diving shop last summer, (here i can't order them online)
I'm planning to do my 1st +10meter CWT/CNF this summer, and mb even go as deep as 20meters depending on circumstances.
So, i'll be buying a buoy, diving rope, lanyard, and float line to exercice safely, it's an investment after all.

About DNF, Subsub is totaly right, before i bought my 1st 0.5mm neorprene wetsuit, i was testing my strealine by doing wallpushs and counting how many meters i can glide; with boxers it was just 5meters, with cycling-like shorts, it was 6~7meters, adding a tight shirt and swimming cap, makes it to 8meters
But a wetsuit made all of this jump to a stagering 11meters., and ofc working on proper shape and

No, obviously you’d have to get something rust proof. Just be sure to seal the compartment good as lead seldom is good for anything really, except weight. :)

Yeah, regular shorts create helluva drag under water. I’ve done all my pool DNF with regular speedos [emoji123] and a neck weight. I know the improvement is substantial when getting in to a proper smooth freediving wetsuit, but since I have enough blubber go compare with a seal I can stay in the pool for 2-3hrs without feeling that cold I never felt the need for one for the pool. [emoji5] Got a 5mm for spearfishing but that one ain’t going in to the pool, that would be like sauna for me!

i recently made some progress with reducing my frogs kicks, i swam using only my legs, and kep my arms locked in spear form.
the result was 3.5meters per leg stroke, at 0.6m/s, i guess not bad.
The issue i still suffer from is that my 2kg sand bags weight only 0.8kg in water, so not much advantage over my passive exhale DNF +1L of air for neutral buoyancy, and 1min of total apnea time, so i now i'm number one priority is to get some proper neck weights (build ons) like you suggested.

Sooooo..... I think i am already doing FRC dynamic just did not realize that's what it was. I find the a relaxed inhale not to full lung and submerging especially with no mask or goggles on makes my DYN quite relaxed as long as I am not tired. I should monitor how that feels and how I perform. :) Then I guess what i'm getting is if you train that way it will help when you do train on a full inhale?

Reactions: zazuge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT